Prostate Cancer Treatment & Procedures
Find a Prostate Cancer SpecialistChoose a Specialist
Our Approach to TreatmentHouston Methodist Hospital offers high-intensity focused ultrasound (HIFU), the most advanced prostate cancer treatment available in the United States. Our urologists, Brian Miles, MD, at Houston Methodist Hospital in the Texas Medical Center, and David Mobley, MD, at Houston Methodist West Hospital, are trained in this minimally invasive, outpatient procedure, which precisely destroys cancer cells and spares tissue, while speeding recovery and reducing side effects and complications.
Candidates for the procedure could include:
- Men suffering from recurrent cancer who have not succeeded with radiation therapy
- Elderly patients with aggressive disease with higher incontinence risk
- Patients who are newly diagnosed with early cancer
- Men who are concerned about radiation risks
Houston Methodist’s dedication to improving prostate cancer treatments also leads our physician-scientists to develop and study new therapies to help patients around the world.
- Hormone therapy
- Radiation, which can cause incontinence and erectile dysfunction
- External radiation therapy: radiation rays are directed at your prostate
- Internal radiation therapy, known as brachytherapy: radioactive seeds are placed in the tumor
- Surgery – the prostate and surrounding tissue is removed through small incisions, causing temporary incontinence and erectile dysfunction
- High intensity focused ultrasound (HIFU) – sound waves are aimed at the prostate and concentrated on cancer cells, which are destroyed while preserving urinary and sexual function
Choose a Doctor at One of Our Locations