Lung Cancer Treatment & Surgery
OUR APPROACH TO TREATMENT
Houston Methodist’s experts collaborate to offer you the most advanced options in lung cancer treatment, including minimally invasive procedures, immunotherapy and targeted therapies. Our goal is to provide effective treatments, while preserving healthy tissue and cells.
We provide the most progressive treatments available to ensure you receive the best possible outcome. Our radiation oncologists are experts in the most advanced radiation therapies, which allows us to precisely target your tumor and limit radiation exposure.
Houston Methodist has thoracic surgeons who specialize in performing the latest minimally invasive robotic procedures, leaving patients with less pain and fewer complications, which speeds recovery and reduces hospital stays.
Additionally, Houston Methodist’s specialists routinely consult with each other to design individualized care plans based on each patient’s unique needs and goals. We also offer clinical trials to further develop targeted lung cancer treatments.
TREATMENT & SURGERY
- Wedge resection – removal of the tumor and a wedge-shaped piece of the lung
- Segmentectomy – removal of a small part of the lung where the tumor is located
- Lobectomy or sleeve lobectomy – removal of the lobe with cancer
- Pneumonectomy – removal of the lung
- Video-assisted thoracic surgery – a minimally invasive surgical technique using a small incisions and special instruments
- Radiation therapy
- Stereotactic body radiation therapy (SBRT)
- 3-dimensional conformal radiation therapy (3D-CRT)
- Intensity-modulated radiation therapy (IMRT)
- Image-guided radiation therapy (IGRT)
- Targeted therapy