Breast Reconstruction Surgery
Find a Specialist Near You
Choose a Cancer Center Location
Houston Methodist’s experienced reconstructive surgeons provide advanced breast reconstruction after cancer in a caring and supportive environment, while allowing you to rehabilitate and regain femininity.
With seven locations across the Greater Houston area, our breast reconstruction surgeons offer expert care close to home or work.
Expertise in Breast Reconstruction Surgery
Our breast reconstruction surgery specialists are experts in:
- Advanced breast reconstruction techniques, including use of your own excess abdominal tissue to reconstruct the breast or using implants
- Mastectomy with or without immediate reconstruction, including nipple-sparing mastectomy
- Microsurgery to restore form, function and sensation to the breast, as well as supermicrosurgery, which involves the connection of tiny blood vessels
- Sculpting to make the restored breast appear natural
Houston Methodist is one of only a few hospital systems around the country, and the only one in Houston, with expertise restoring breast sensation after a mastectomy. In addition to pioneering and mastering the complex techniques needed to reestablish breast sensation, our skilled microsurgeons continue to improve this procedure through clinical trials.
Types of Breast Reconstruction Surgery We Offer
Our highly skilled surgeons perform the following breast reconstruction and restoration procedures:
- Nipple-sparing mastectomy with immediate reconstruction – the skin of the breast and nipple are preserved and reconstruction takes place during mastectomy
- Delayed reconstruction – reconstruction occurs some time later than mastectomy, typically in cases involving radiation after mastectomy
- Restoration – microsurgical connection of nerves to offer the possibility of regaining normal breast sensation
- Flap procedures – transplants excess skin and fat, and sometimes blood vessels as well, from the lower abdomen or gluteal muscles to help reshape the breast
Choose a Doctor at One of Our Locations
Breast Reconstruction: Mitsy's Story
Nipple-Sparing Mastectomy With Immediate Reconstruction
The nipple-sparing mastectomy with immediate reconstruction is a “game changer,” our surgeons say, because it is safe, effective and cosmetically appealing to patients. This innovative microsurgery, pioneered at Houston Methodist and performed at multiple locations across Greater Houston, can save patients’ lives and allows for more natural-looking results.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Does breast sensation change after surgery?
Usually after mastectomy, there will be a decrease in sensation. Many nerves in the nipple travel through the breast skin and tissue. During a mastectomy, that tissue is removed with those nerves. By using a patient’s own tissue during breast reconstruction, our microsurgeons can sometimes reconnect one or more nerves to improve sensation in the breast.
Who is a candidate for breast reconstruction?
Who is a candidate for double mastectomy?
Is breast reconstruction covered by insurance?
Is reconstruction using implants possible?
How will I look after breast reconstruction?
What are the different flap procedure options available?
What is a nipple-sparing mastectomy with immediate reconstruction?
What options exist for patients who want to use their own tissue for breast reconstruction?
How long is recovery after mastectomy and reconstruction?
How do I find the right doctors?
Will a patient need surgery on the healthy breast to achieve symmetry?