Houston Methodist Lung Center
Our Experts Diagnose and Manage All Lung Diseases — Including Complex COPD
The Houston Methodist Lung Center was developed to establish a single center of expertise in the diagnosis and management of all lung diseases. For patients, caregivers and referring physicians, the center provides one-stop access to expertise in breathing and respiratory disorders.
The Lung Center capitalizes on the pulmonary expertise in the Texas Medical Center and at Houston Methodist Hospital, named by U.S. News & World Report as the No. 1 hospital in Texas every year since the award began and one of the nation’s best as a nationally ranked Honor Roll hospital. The Houston Methodist Lung Center physicians represent years of clinical experience and academic recognition in their areas of interest and expertise. Within two business days of either a phone or website referral, patients and caregivers will be on their way to better understanding and managing their breathing difficulties.
Why Houston Methodist?
Houston Methodist has a long history of leading medicine. From the first U.S. lung transplants to cardiovascular surgical techniques pioneered by Dr. Michael E. DeBakey, Houston Methodist has always been in the forefront of innovative, timely, expert and compassionate care.
The Houston Methodist Lung Center exemplifies our commitment to leading medicine, uniting the recognized expertise of our pulmonary team with the center’s skilled vascular, cardiovascular and thoracic surgeons, oncologists, radiologists, pathologists, cytopathologists, immunobiologists, respiratory therapists, neurologists, cardiologists and rheumatologists in an outpatient setting.
We offer a variety of specialized programs to treat certain complex lung conditions:
- Pulmonary hypertension (PH), chronic thromboembolic pulmonary hypertension (CTEPH)
- Interstitial lung diseases (including those associated with connective tissue diseases, occupational lung diseases, chemotherapeutic agents and idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis)
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
- Lung nodules
- Lung cancer
- Neuromuscular disorders affecting the lungs
- Occupational lung diseases
- Central airway obstruction
- Sleep-disordered breathing
- Lung transplantation
- Heart-lung transplantation
In addition to routine pulmonology services, we offer the following highly specialized procedures:
- Diagnostic right-heart catheterization for pulmonary hypertension diagnosis, management and risk stratification
- Pulmonary angiography
- Pulmonary function testing, including spirometry, 6MWT, diffusion, lung volumes, indirect calorimetry, methacholine challenge test, exhaled nitric oxide testing, pulmonary exercise stress test, and high altitude stress testing
- Pulmonary rehab
- Interventional bronchoscopy, including endobronchial ultrasound (EBUS) and computerized tomography (CT) guided/directional bronchoscopy
- Robot-assisted bronchoscopy of suspicious lung nodules using Auris Health's Monarch™ Platform, offering improved detection of early stages of lung cancer
- Interventional pleuroscopy
- Minimally invasive thoracic surgery and other surgical approaches to lung, mediastinal and pleural disease diagnosis and management
- Bronchial thermoplasty for asthma
- Bronchoscopic management of airway disease (bronchial coils and valves)
- Low-dose computed tomography (LDCT) for lung cancer screening for high-risk patients per Medicare guidelines
- Access to research studies for patients interested in and appropriate for study participation in PH, COPD, asthma, pulmonary fibrosis and lung cancer
- Chronic thromboembolic pulmonary hypertension diagnosis and management, including surgical options
- Lung transplant pre-assessment
- One of the largest U.S. lung transplant programs
Houston Methodist Lung Center is a designated Care Center Network for the Pulmonary Fibrosis Foundation (PFF), recognizing our ability to accurately diagnose and treat individuals with this deadly lung disease. Pulmonary fibrosis causes progressive scarring in the lungs, making it difficult to breathe and get sufficient oxygen into the bloodstream. There is no known cure.
U.S. NEWS & WORLD REPORT
Houston Methodist Hospital is ranked best in Texas and No. 18 in the nation by U.S. News & World Report for pulmonology and lung surgery. U.S. News & World Report has also named Houston Methodist Hospital the No. 1 hospital in Texas every year since the award began and one of the nation’s best as a nationally ranked Honor Roll hospital. Learn more.