Our experts diagnose and manage all lung diseases, including complex copd.
The Houston Methodist Lung Center was developed to establish a single center of expertise in the diagnosis and management of all lung diseases. For patients, caregivers and referring physicians, the center provides one-stop access to expertise in breathing and respiratory disorders.
The Lung Center capitalizes on the pulmonary expertise in the Texas Medical Center and at Houston Methodist Hospital, named by U.S. News & World Report as the No. 1 hospital in Texas every year since the award began and one of the nation’s best as a nationally ranked Honor Roll hospital. The Houston Methodist Lung Center physicians represent years of clinical experience and academic recognition in their areas of interest and expertise. Within two business days of either a phone or website referral, patients and caregivers will be on their way to better understanding and managing their breathing difficulties.
Why Houston Methodist?
Houston Methodist has a long history of leading medicine. From the first U.S. lung transplants to cardiovascular surgical techniques pioneered by Dr. Michael E. DeBakey, Houston Methodist has always been in the forefront of innovative, timely, expert and compassionate care.
The Houston Methodist Lung Center exemplifies our commitment to leading medicine, uniting the recognized expertise of our pulmonary team with the center’s skilled vascular, cardiovascular and thoracic surgeons, oncologists, radiologists, pathologists, cytopathologists, immunobiologists, respiratory therapists, neurologists, cardiologists and rheumatologists in an outpatient setting.
We offer a variety of specialized programs to treat certain complex lung conditions:
- Pulmonary hypertension (PH), chronic thromboembolic pulmonary hypertension (CTEPH)
- Interstitial lung diseases (including those associated with connective tissue diseases, occupational lung diseases, chemotherapeutic agents and idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis)
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
- Lung nodules
- Lung cancer
- Neuromuscular disorders affecting the lungs
- Occupational lung diseases
- Central airway obstruction
- Sleep-disordered breathing
- Lung transplantation
- Heart-lung transplantation
In addition to routine pulmonology services, we offer the following highly specialized procedures:
- Diagnostic right-heart catheterization for pulmonary hypertension diagnosis, management and risk stratification
- Pulmonary angiography
- Interventional bronchoscopy, including endobronchial ultrasound (EBUS), computerized tomography (CT) guided/directional bronchoscopy
- Interventional pleuroscopy
- Minimally invasive thoracic surgery and other surgical approaches to lung, mediastinal and pleural disease diagnosis and management
- Bronchial thermoplasty for asthma
- Bronchoscopic management of airway disease (bronchial coils and valves)
- Low-dose computed tomography (LDCT) for lung cancer screening for high-risk patients per Medicare guidelines
- Access to research studies for patients interested in and appropriate for study participation in PH, COPD, asthma, pulmonary fibrosis and lung cancer
- Chronic thromboembolic pulmonary hypertension diagnosis and management, including surgical options
- Lung transplant pre-assessment
- One of the largest U.S. lung transplant programs
U.S. NEWS & WORLD REPORT
Houston Methodist Hospital is ranked No. 24 among 1,651 hospitals by U.S. News & World Report for Pulmonology and Lung Surgery, and the highest nationally ranked hospital in Texas and the Gulf Coast for Pulmonology and Lung Surgery. U.S. News & World Report has also named Houston Methodist Hospital the No. 1 hospital in Texas every year since the award began and one of the nation’s best as a nationally ranked Honor Roll hospital. Learn more.