Urogynecology focuses on the study and treatment of pelvic floor disorders in women. The term pelvic floor describes the muscles, ligaments and connective tissues that provide support for organs such as the bowel, bladder, uterus, vagina and rectum. The pelvic floor not only keeps these organs in place, it also plays an important role in their proper functioning. Weakness in or damage to the pelvic floor muscles can lead to a variety of conditions:
- Pelvic organ and rectal prolapse - Descent or dropping of pelvic organs into the vagina due to weakened support (includes cystocele, rectocele and uterine prolapse)
- Incontinence - Loss of bladder or bowel control
- Overactive bladder - Frequent need to urinate, which may result in incontinence
- Emptying disorders - Difficulty urinating or moving bowels
- Fistula - Abnormal opening between one organ (such as the bladder) and another (such as the vagina)
- Pelvic or lower back pain
Conditions and Treatments
The urogynecologists at Houston Methodist specialize in the diagnosis and treatment of pelvic disorders, ranging from simple to complex.
Women seeking treatment for pelvic floor disorders at Houston Methodist have access to the full range of resources offered by our system. This includes pelvic floor physical therapy and the services of colorectal and pelvic surgeons, who use the most advanced minimally invasive surgical technologies.
Leading Medicine at Houston Methodist
Our urogynecologists have completed a residency in Obstetrics and Gynecology or Urology, with additional years of fellowship training and certification in Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery . We offer patients the convenience of seeing and being treated by a single specialist for these disorders instead of having to visit a gynecologist and a urologist separately. The focused training and experience of our specialists make them uniquely qualified to diagnose and treat even the most complex pelvic floor issues.
The urogynecology program at Houston Methodist is dedicated to treating female pelvic floor disorders with the latest in nonsurgical and minimally invasive surgical methods.
Our physicians at Houston Methodist specialize in urogynecolgy at the following convenient locations: