Heart Scan Packages
Find a Cardiac Imaging Specialist Near You
Heart disease is the leading cause of death for both men and women. For this reason, early detection of this disease and its contributing conditions are critical to health and longevity. Our cardiovascular physicians combine more than 30 years of excellence in heart imaging and diagnostics with advanced technology to assess your risks and establish a health plan toward prevention.
Houston Methodist provides heart and vascular screening packages, all performed by our highly trained cardiologists, cardiovascular surgeons, radiologists and technologists to analyze your tests and help you understand your risk.
Heart Scan – $140
- Calcium Score — Also known as a heart scan, this uses a computed tomography (CT) scan to detect the presence and extent of calcium deposits within the walls of the coronary arteries. Calcium is one of the substances that make up plaque, a waxy substance that can build up in coronary arteries, and over time, cause those arteries to harden or rupture. A heart scan is used to detect coronary artery disease and, if present, can determine the severity.
Heart scans are typically performed in men aged 40 and older and women 50 and older who have risk factors for developing coronary artery disease, but no symptoms. A heart scan is a simple test that only takes about 10 minutes. You will be asked to lie still in the CT scanner machine while it takes X-ray pictures of your heart. The pictures from the scan will tell your doctor whether you have calcification in your coronary arteries, an early sign of coronary artery disease. If calcifications appear, your doctor will work with you to help prevent a heart attack or other heart problems.
Vascular Age Screening (CIMT-Carotid Intimal Thickness) – $120
- Using ultrasound, the thickness of the arteries is measured to produce a risk assessment that estimates the vascular age of your arteries. Blood vessels are also checked for blockages.
Vascular Screening – $120
- Carotid Artery Screening — Blood vessels are checked for blockages using ultrasound.
- Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm Screening — Using ultrasound, this test looks at the abdominal aorta and checks for thinning or ballooning, either of which could suggest a potential rupture.
- Peripheral Artery Disease (PAD) Screening — Blood pressure cuffs are placed on the ankles to evaluate blood flow in the legs.
Heart Scan Plus – $205
- This combination package includes the heart scan and the vascular screening.
Not everyone should get a heart scan. They are beneficial for men between the age of 40 and 65 and women between 45 and 70, or if you are considered intermediate risk and have one of the following risk factors for coronary artery disease:
- High blood pressure or hypertension (greater than 140/90)
- High cholesterol (LDL greater than 160)
- Current cigarette smoker, particularly heavy smoking
- Family history of heart disease
Frequently Asked Questions
If I have a known heart condition, can I still get these tests?
The heart scan and heart scan plus are not necessary for those who have coronary artery disease, heart stents of any kind or have had coronary bypass surgery. For these patients, we recommend an evaluation by a cardiologist.
How can I pay for these tests?
The prices listed reflect the cash pay price and include both the test and evaluation of the results. While insurance may provide coverage, the prices may vary and a doctor’s referral may be required for scans and screenings. If using insurance, please obtain an order from your physician to ensure appropriate scheduling and verification. Medicare will not cover the cost of these tests.
How long will the tests take?
The heart scan takes approximately 15 minutes. The vascular screening and the vascular age screening (CIMT) each take approximately 30 minutes. The complete heart scan plus will take approximately one hour.
Why should I have my screenings at Houston Methodist?
Your results will be processed in an accredited lab and evaluated by either a cardiologist, a vascular surgeon or a sub-specialized radiologist. Your results will be sent to your physician and/or you within seven business days. We suggest you share the results with your primary care physician or cardiologist.
Register for a heart scan at Houston Methodist Hospital. To register for a heart scan at any other Houston Methodist location call 713.790.3333.