Our Approach to TreatmentThe Sherrie and Alan Conover Center for Liver Disease & Transplantation at Houston Methodist J.C. Walter Transplant Center is among the state’s leading and most experienced centers, performing more than 100 liver transplants annually. We also are uniquely positioned to become one of the county’s leading liver centers.
Texas has among the highest liver disease incidence nationwide. Our doctors possess the passion and expertise to evaluate and treat patients with complex disease, who typically are not considered for liver transplantation elsewhere because of factors, including age, body mass index or disease severity. We perform whole organ transplants and split-liver transplants — sophisticated and life-saving options that separate our center from others.
Our CommitmentThe focus of the liver center and its team is to provide the best possible care for our patients, regardless of disease stage. Our team, including hepatologists, surgeons, nurses, transplant coordinators and dietitians, specializes in all aspects of pretransplant care, transplant surgery and end-stage liver disease.
We are highly skilled in primary and secondary liver cancer treatment. Our doctors work with University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center specialists to transplant livers in patients with advanced cancers to extend their lives.
Our extensive research team also is studying ways to improve donor livers before transplantation.
Conditions TreatedLiver failure caused by:
- Hepatitis B and C
- Long-term alcohol consumption
- Acetaminophen (Tylenol) overdose
- Prescription medications and drugs
- Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease
- Liver cancer
- Genetic diseases
- Autoimmune diseases
- Deceased donor – a liver transplant involving a person who has died
- Split-liver donation – a deceased donor’s liver is divided and transplanted into two patients
After SurgeryFollowing a transplant, patients:
- Live a better quality of life because of improved health
- Follow scheduled lab tests and clinic visits to ensure proper liver function
Our doctors specialize in liver transplantation at the following location: