Transplant Patient Stories
Every transplant is a unique experience of hope that can bring reassurance to thousands of others. Many who have undergone transplants at Houston Methodist have shared their story. Whether you are a patient, a living donor or a patient’s loved one, your journey of hope and healing can raise awareness about this life-giving gift and bring reassurance to those who are currently waiting for a transplant.
Heart Transplant: Harvey's Story
When former NBA player Harvey Catchings underwent surgery for a rare heart condition, more issues were discovered and he was quickly hospitalized and put on the waiting list for a heart transplant. Learn more about his new teammates at Houston Methodist and what they went through together in his journey for a new heart.
Heart Transplant: Lucio's Story
At 50 years old, Lucio Arreola needed a heart transplant. Worried that his new heart wouldn't 'love the same' he wrote a song for the old one. Learn more about his inspiring story in the Houston Chronicle.
How a Transplant Saved Both of Our Lives: The McBride Story
The journey for transplant patients is typically challenging, but Michael and Kris McBride faced more challenges than most in their years-long journey. Learn more about how they saved each other's lives along the way.
Living Kidney Donation: Diane's Story
Diane Ikonomidis is an alltruistic donor. Her generosity answered thirty years of prayer for the recipient of her kidney donation. Learn more about Diane's special story.
Living Kidney Donation: Tina and Christy's Story
Tina and Christy share a strong bond. After six years of being on dialysis, Tina needed a kidney transplant and Christy didn't hesitate to help. Learn more about their special bond.
Left Ventricular Assist Device: Curtis’ Story
Lung Transplant: Joshua's Story
Lung Transplant: Jesus' Story
Lung Transplant: Dr. McKenzie's Story
Multi-Organ Transplant: Tara's Story
Organ Donation: Creating a Never Ending Chain
Kidney swaps are of growing importance as there continues to be long waits on kidney organ lists. Learn more about how to create a never ending chain and the importance of organ donation.
- Dawn Dupree traveled all the way from England to have her kidney transplant at Houston Methodist.
- Marcy Shipp saved three lives by donating a kidney through the Houston Methodist donor swap program.
- Candace Wathan had suffered from diabetes since childhood and got a new lease on life through a kidney-pancreas transplant.
- Kenneth King received the most loving and life-changing gift a spouse could give: a new kidney from his wife, Angie.
- Rochelle Johnson’s quest for a healthy heart led her to Houston Methodist; now she enjoys every minute of her busy life with three kids.
- Brian Gilliam’s new heart got him back on the golf course and back into life with his family.
- Leslie Dial was diagnosed with cirrhosis and hepatocellular carcinoma. After four years, she received the call she'd been waiting for - a donor liver was ready.
- Laura Criel found herself fighting to stay alive at age 23 when she received not one liver transplant but two — the second saved her life.
- Kande Fogle is now cancer free after receiving a life-saving liver transplant.
- Tyrone Ivory now lives a life that does not revolve around sickness after receiving a heart-liver transplant.
- Beverly Lanier is thankful for the treatment she received at Houston Methodist after undergoing a liver transplant to survive cancer.
Left Ventricular Assist Devices (LVADs)
- Cloyd Powell, a retired soldier, received an LVAD device that helped bridge the gap until a donor heart became available.
- Susan Bienduga suffered from chronic pancreatitis for more than 10 years; now an islet transplant lets her lead a pain-free life.