Update on procedures and surgeries: Houston Methodist is open, safely seeing patients and following the governor's order. Because the order’s ban on elective surgeries is contingent upon a hospital’s capacity to care for COVID-19 patients, we are currently able to continue with most elective surgeries and procedures. Please consult with your doctor to confirm. Know that we are continuously monitoring our hospital’s capacity and have the ability to adjust it on a daily, weekly and monthly basis.
If you are scheduled for labs, imaging or a doctor’s visit, your appointment should take place as scheduled. If you are scheduled for surgery, you will be notified if there are any changes.
The safety, health and well-being of all of our patients is our top priority. Rest assured, the number of COVID patients in our hospitals has declined — and continues to do so — now 18% of our total hospital/ICU capacity. These patients continue to be quarantined, isolated from other patients, allowing us to treat everyone in our community who needs care — just as we always have.
You can be confident we are taking every necessary precaution to keep you safe during your visit, including:
- Isolating COVID-19 patients from other patients
- Screening all patients and essential visitors when entering our facilities
- Requiring all patients, visitors and employees to wear a mask
- Implementing social distancing in our waiting rooms and elevators
- Minimizing waiting in public spaces
- Elevating our cleaning and housekeeping practices
- Offering remote check-in
As our community continues to be vaccinated and build its immunity, we have adjusted our visitor policy. Visitation requirements may change at management’s discretion.
Non-COVID hospitalized patients, procedures, treatments and doctor appointments
- Visitation is limited to 1 healthy visitor per day in medical surgical units, procedural areas and for doctor appointments. Hospitalized patients will be allowed 1 overnight visitor.
- Intensive care unit (ICU) visitation is limited to 1 healthy visitor per day. We encourage you to use electronic communication, such as a smartphone or video chat whenever possible. For overnight visitors, patients should refer to their unit’s policy.
- Labor and delivery patients are allowed 2 healthy visitors. One healthy visitor may stay overnight. For the Neonatal ICU, 1 parent at a time will be allowed to visit.
- On the day of surgery (either incoming for surgery or already hospitalized), 1 healthy visitor is allowed to stay in the waiting room during surgery, then accompany the patient back to the unit.
Patients may bring 1 healthy visitor when they are receiving a COVID-19 vaccine.
No visitors are allowed in the emergency department waiting rooms. One healthy visitor may be allowed once a patient is in an exam room. An exception will be made in compassionate cases. Patients who have tested positive or are under evaluation for COVID-19 will not be permitted visitors.
COVID hospitalized patients
No visitors are allowed, even with proof of vaccination. Exceptions will be made on a case-by-case basis.
Applicability and exceptions
- All visitors must comply with all PPE requirements, and agree to participate in entry-point screening.
- Special consideration will be made for disabled patients who may need more than 1 visitor to provide support and knowledge about their care. Decisions regarding visitors of disabled individuals will be made collaboratively with nursing leadership.
- Visitor policies will vary for post-acute units such as skilled nursing facilities (SNFs) and long-term acute care hospitals (LTACHs).
- If you feel an exception is needed, please speak to management.
Everyone must wear a mask at all times while in Houston Methodist facilities.