Update on procedures and surgeries: Houston Methodist is open, safely seeing patients and following the governor's order. Because the order’s ban on elective surgeries is contingent upon a hospital’s capacity to care for COVID-19 patients, we are currently able to continue with most elective surgeries and procedures. Please consult with your doctor to confirm. Know that we are continuously monitoring our hospital’s capacity and have the ability to adjust it on a daily, weekly and monthly basis.
If you are scheduled for labs, imaging or a doctor’s visit, your appointment should take place as scheduled. If you are scheduled for surgery, you will be notified if there are any changes.
The safety, health and well-being of all of our patients is our top priority. Rest assured, the number of COVID patients in our hospitals has declined — and continues to do so — now 18% of our total hospital/ICU capacity. These patients continue to be quarantined, isolated from other patients, allowing us to treat everyone in our community who needs care — just as we always have.
You can be confident we are taking every necessary precaution to keep you safe during your visit, including:
- Isolating COVID-19 patients from other patients
- Screening all patients and essential visitors when entering our facilities
- Requiring all patients, visitors and employees to wear a mask
- Implementing social distancing in our waiting rooms and elevators
- Minimizing waiting in public spaces
- Elevating our cleaning and housekeeping practices
- Offering remote check-in
Admitted hospitalized patients
Houston Methodist facilities are no longer permitting visitors for admitted hospitalized patients. Exceptions for one visitor (not a rotation of visitors) 18 years or older, include:
- Hospitalized maternity, postpartum and NICU patients: One healthy partner/parent
- Disabled or impaired patients: One healthy visitor to escort and provide wheelchair assistance
- Critical patients (until stabilized): One healthy visitor
- End-of-life patients: Two healthy visitors at a time, for one brief visit
- Discharged patients: One healthy visitor for education at discharge
- Family conference, temporary need for family support (i.e.: following diagnosis): As requested by physician
Surgical, procedural and diagnostic procedure patients
You are allowed one visitor 18 years or older who may stay until visiting hours end at 8 p.m. (on the day of surgery). This is a single visitor, not a rotation of visitors. This single visitor is not permitted to stay overnight or return the next day.
You are limited to one visitor 18 years or older. However, we encourage you to come to your appointment alone. Visitors will be subject to the clinic’s screening and protection criteria.
There are no visitors allowed in the emergency room. Only an ER doctor may permit an exception to this policy. Patients who have tested positive or are under evaluation for COVID-19 will not be permitted visitors.
Everyone must wear a mask at all times while in Houston Methodist facilities. While not mandatory, we encourage you to also wear a face shield for additional protection.