Houston Methodist Hospital, Texas Medical Center
Houston Methodist Hospital Outpatient Center (OPC)
6445 Main Street, 22nd Floor
Houston, TX 77030
Hours: Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. - 6 p.m.
Appointment Scheduling: 713.441.6504
General Information 713.441.5035
Houston Methodist Hospital Registration: 713.394.6805
Walk-ins are welcomed although appointments are HIGHLY encouraged to avoid long wait times! To schedule an appointment, please call 713-441-6504.
Houston Methodist Hospital Preadmission Testing looks forward to providing you with safe, effective preoperative care. Our mission is to make your treatment at Houston Methodist as safe and comfortable as possible.
What is the Preadmission Testing Clinic?
The Preadmission Testing Clinic is a specialty clinic within Houston Methodist Hospital designed to help prepare patients for a surgery or a procedure requiring Anesthesia. The goal of the clinic is to prepare patients prior to their planned surgical procedure by working with their Surgeon and established Physicians to optimize specific medical conditions as necessary. This allows for safer, more efficient care on the day of surgery and helps to prevent day of surgery cancellations or delays.
What should I expect during my Preadmission Testing Clinic Visit or Preadmission Testing Phone Interview?
Preadmission Testing Clinic is staffed with Registered Nurses (RNs) who will obtain the patient’s medical and surgical history, and current medications. Necessary preoperative testing (such as lab work and EKG) is determined after review of the patient’s medical history, medications, and planned surgical procedure by a clinic Nurse Practitioner (NP). Once necessary testing is determined, lab work and EKG will be completed in clinic either by our specially trained support staff or by the patient’s nurse.
Preadmission Testing Clinic registered nurses also provide preoperative instructions for the patient, including instructions regarding what medications should be held that could impact the safe administration of general anesthesia. Instructions regarding antiplatelet and anticoagulant medications (examples: Plavix, warfarin, aspirin) will be deferred to the prescribing provider and the patient will be instructed to follow up with that provider and their surgeon for proper coordination of care and instructions regarding those medications. The PAT Clinic does not provide instructions regarding these medications as they are directly related to the surgical procedure.
Patients with certain cardiac or medical conditions may require a current evaluation and clearance from their established physician(s). Once certain history is determined or abnormal results are received, Preadmission Testing Clinic Nurse Practitioners will request an evaluation and clearance from the appropriate Physician(s). This request will be sent directly to the Surgeon for proper coordination of care. Advanced evaluation and optimization of certain medical conditions is imperative to the safe delivery of general anesthesia. Please be aware that requested evaluations and clearances not received or received as incomplete can cause a delay and/or cancellation of your planned surgical procedure. The Preadmission Testing Clinic will work closely with your Surgeon’s office to ensure the appropriate information is received. Please check with your surgeon’s office for any questions related to clearances.
How do I Prepare for my Preadmission Testing Clinic Visit?
- If you have not already done so, sign up for Houston Methodist Hospital MyChart. This will allow you to receive preoperative information and instructions via e-mail. Once your Surgery is scheduled by your Surgeon, you will be emailed a link to an Anesthesia Health Questionnaire. Please complete this questionnaire as soon as possible for timely clinic review. You will also be prompted to update your medication list.
- Patients without MyChart will need to visit the Preadmission Testing Clinic in person at least three (3) business days prior to the date of surgery. You will be able to make an appointment or walk in. Appointments are advisable to prevent long wait times.
- Please have the following available when completing the MyChart Online Anesthesia Health Questionnaire and/or bring the following with you to you Preadmission Testing Clinic Visit:
- List of all prescribed and over the counter medications, vitamins, and supplements you are currently taking.
- List of all Physicians, you see at least annually, and their contact information. (Examples: Cardiologist, Pulmonologist, Endocrinologist).
- Medical Device ID Card(s) (Examples: Pacemaker, Defibrillators, Etc.)
- Fasting is not required for lab work that may be drawn at the Preadmission Testing Clinic.
- If you would like to use current lab work or EKG recently performed by an outside Physician for anesthesia clearance, please bring copies with you for review by a clinic NP while you are in clinic. All outside testing must have your name, date of birth, and date of performed test. Lab work will not be accepted if greater than 30 days old or does not have the above referenced patient identifiers. EKGs performed within the last 6 months with the referenced patient identifiers are also typically accepted. Please be aware that some testing may need to be repeated even if performed within the designated time frame referenced above. This is determined by the clinic NP and/or your Surgeon. Type and Screen for blood type must be performed at Houston Methodist Hospital, Texas Medical Center if required for the type of surgical procedure to be performed. Type and Screen testing cannot be performed greater than 21 days prior to your scheduled surgery date.
Will I be charged or billed for the Preadmission Testing Clinic Evaluation?
There is no charge for the evaluation itself; however, charges may result from any laboratory, radiology, and/or cardiology testing required. Please direct any questions related to billing and insurance benefits to your insurance provider or to the Houston Methodist Hospital billing department.
For patients wishing to complete or update an Advanced Directive, please visit the Advanced Directives website prior to your scheduled procedure. Once you’ve visited the page, please download a Medical Power of Attorney form and bring the completed form with you to your next appointment or day of surgery for the staff to place in your medical record.
The morning of your procedure:
- Bring a signed copy of the Directive to Physician and/or Medical Power of Attorney.
- Wear loose-fitting clothes and leave valuables at home.
- Remove all your jewelry including your piercings.
- Please do not wear contact lenses. Wear glasses or bring your contact storage case and solution.
- Do not eat after midnight, you may have clear liquids up to 2 hours prior to arrival to hospital unless instructed otherwise by your surgeon. For instructions, please download the instructions below:
- Dentures, partials and hearing aids need to be removed prior to your surgery. Please bring your cases to store them in.
- Shower or bathe with antimicrobial (CHG) soap as directed. For instructions, please download the instructions below:
- Bring your CPAP or BIPAP mask.
When you arrive at the hospital
- You will be greeted by our staff and taken to a patient room.
- You may be asked to change into a gown and an IV may be placed in your arm.
- Before your procedure, you will speak with your doctor, an anesthesiologist or CRNA and the nurse who will be present for your procedure.
- Your procedure start time is an estimate. If we anticipate any delays, we will keep you updated.
During your procedure
- The room may be cool. Warm blankets are available at your request.
- Monitoring equipment such as a blood pressure cuff and EKG leads will be placed.
- Your nurse will remain present during your procedure to ensure that your needs are met.
- Your family or friends will be in the family room.
- Your doctor will notify them when your procedure is over.
After your procedure
- You will be taken to recovery where a nurse will care for you for approximately one to two hours.
- You will remain on monitors at this time and the nurse will prepare you for transfer back to a patient room.
- You may briefly have a visitor while in recovery. The family room liaison will bring in visitors.
- If you are an Outpatient, make sure a responsible adult is available to accompany you home on the day of your procedure. We recommend that they stay with you for 24 hours after your procedure.
Anesthesia Billing Questions or Estimates
US Anesthesia Partners 972.715.5080 or 972.715.5000
From North: Take I-45 South to Highway 288 South. Exit at MacGregor and turn right. Continue until the Fannin Street signal and turn left. Houston Methodist Hospital is located on the left at 6565 Fannin Street.
From Northeast: Take 59 South to Highway 288 South. Exit at MacGregor and turn right. Continue until the Fannin Street signal and turn left. Houston Methodist Hospital is located on the left at 6565 Fannin Street.
From Northwest: Take Highway 290 East to 610 West Loop South. Exit Fannin Street and turn left. Continue for approximately two miles. Houston Methodist Hospital is located on the right at 6565 Fannin Street.
From South: Take I-45 North to 610 Loop West. Exit Fannin Street and turn right. Take 610 Loop West to the Fannin Street exit and turn right on Fannin. Continue for approximately two miles. Houston Methodist Hospital is located on the right at 6565 Fannin Street.
From Southeast: Take Highway 225 to I-45 North. From I-45 take 59 South and then Highway 288 South. Exit MacGregor and turn right. Continue until the Fannin Street signal and turn left. Houston Methodist Hospital is located on the left at 6565 Fannin Street.
From Southwest: Take 59 North to Highway 288 South. Exit MacGregor and turn right. Continue until the Fannin Street signal and turn left. Houston Methodist Hospital is located on the left at 6565 Fannin Street.
From East: Take I-10 West to 59 South. From 59 South take 288 South. Exit MacGregor and turn right. Continue until the Fannin Street signal and turn left. Houston Methodist Hospital is located on the left at 6565 Fannin Street.
From West: Take I-10 East to I-45 South. Take I-45 South take 288 South. Exit MacGregor and turn right. Continue until the Fannin Street signal and turn left. Houston Methodist Hospital is located on the left at 6565 Fannin Street.
For your convenience, Houston Methodist Hospital offers valet parking for patients and visitors. The 24-hour customer service number is 713.441.0175.
- Dunn Tower: 6565 Fannin Street: seven days per week, 24 hours per day. (713.394.6842)
- Walter Tower: 6551 Bertner Avenue: Monday – Friday, 4:30 a.m. – 9 p.m., Saturday-Sunday, 7:00 a.m. – 9 p.m., (346.238.7142)
- Neurosensory/Jones Tower: 6501 Fannin, John Freeman Blvd. entrance: Monday – Friday, 5:30 a.m. – 8:30 p.m. (713.441.4901)
- Houston Methodist Outpatient Center: 6445 Main Street, John Freeman Blvd. entrance: Monday – Friday, 4:30 a.m. – 9 p.m.(713.441.9960)
- Scurlock Tower: 6560 Fannin Street entrance: Monday – Friday, 5:30 a.m. – 7 p.m. (713.790.0010)
- Smith Tower: 6550 Fannin, University Street entrance: Monday – Friday, 5:30 a.m. – 7 p.m. (713.441.4696)
- Emergency Room: 6565 Fannin, 24 hours a day, seven days a week (713.441.2245)
Bush Atrium (Walter Tower)
Crain Garden (Dunn Tower, 1st floor)
Sit and relax while listening to piano music and drinking your favorite coffee from our Fannin Street Café. Please see a Patient Guide in a family room for access to WiFi connectivity.
Art Gallery (Dunn Tower, 2nd floor)
The gallery features art created by our staff and physicians.
Spiritual Care Services/Weiss Memorial Chapel (Dunn Tower, 1st floor)
Hospital Staff Chaplain is assigned to all in-patient care areas for your spiritual support. (713.441.2381)
Healing Gardens (between Dunn and Fondren Towers, 1st floor
Marketplace (Dunn Tower, 1st floor)
A variety of cuisines prepared by Houston Methodist staff
Monday – Friday, 6:30 a.m. – 2:45 a.m.
The Bistro (Neurosensory Basement level 1)
Breakfast and lunch; variety of wraps, pizzas, made-to-order salads, coffees and desserts
Monday – Friday, 6:30 a.m. – 3 p.m.
Blue Water Café (Outpatient Center, 2nd floor)
Breakfast and lunch served
Monday – Friday, 6:30 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Einstein Bros Bagels (Walter Tower 1st floor)
Monday-Friday, 6:30 a.m.-2:00 p.m.
Texas Sky Café (Walter Tower 2nd floor)
Monday-Friday, 6:30 a.m.-4:00 p.m.
Gift Shop (Dunn Tower, 1st floor)
Owned and operated by Houston Methodist Hospital Auxiliary
Hours: Monday – Friday, 9 a.m. – 6 p.m.; Saturday, 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.; Sunday, noon – 6 p.m.
Gift Shop (Walter Tower, 2nd floor)
Owned and operated by Houston Methodist Hospital Auxiliary
Hours: Monday – Friday, 7 a.m. – 7p.m.
Banking services, ATM, florist, eateries and shops are located on the crosswalk levels (2nd floor) of Scurlock and Smith Towers.