Weight Loss Surgery
Let us help you find a doctor
COVID-19 UPDATE: To prioritize the wellness of our patients, employees and providers, Houston Methodist bariatric surgery in-person clinic visits have been transitioned to virtual appointments.
Weight loss surgery, or bariatric surgery, can lead to significant weight loss and improve weight-related health conditions. With additional benefits including increased energy and self-confidence, weight loss surgery is a step toward a new you.
The decision to have weight loss surgery is an important one, as is determining which doctor and hospital are right for you. Houston Methodist’s team of surgeons, nurses, care navigators, dietitians, counselors and an exercise physiologist offers comprehensive care throughout your weight loss journey. Benefits of Houston Methodist Weight Management Center include:
- Skilled, board-certified surgeons using the most advanced and least invasive surgical weight loss approaches available
- A bariatric coordinator to help answer questions about your weight loss surgery journey and understand your insurance coverage
- Free informational sessions where you can learn more about what happens before, during and after weight loss surgery
- Ongoing care after surgery, including monthly support groups, nutritional guidance from a registered dietitian and exercise advice and tips
Getting Started on Your Weight Loss Journey
Candidates for weight loss surgery include those with a body mass index (BMI) of 40 or higher, or those with a BMI of at least 35 who also suffer from one or more weight-related medical conditions, such as diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease or breathing problems.
If you’re looking for more information about weight loss surgery or want to start your search for the right doctor, let us help.
Support Throughout Your Weight Loss Journey
From information sessions before surgery to wellness consultations after, your care team at Houston Methodist is here to help you succeed in losing weight — and keeping it off.
Learn about all of the tools and support our experts offer throughout your weight loss surgery journey.
A Team to Meet Your Needs Before, During and After Surger
Each specialist on our team plays an important role in helping you achieve your long-term weight loss goals. The team includes:
- Board-certified bariatric surgeons skilled in minimally invasive surgical weight loss procedures
- Bariatric coordinators who can help answer your questions about the process of weight loss surgery
- Registered dietitians offering presurgical nutrition assessments and dietary advice after surgery
- Counselors providing mental and emotional support before and after surgery
- Exercise physiologist offering exercise advice and tips
Weight Loss Surgery Options
Houston Methodist’s board-certified surgeons perform the following minimally invasive surgical weight loss procedures:
- Gastric sleeve
- Gastric bypass, also called the Roux-en-Y gastric bypass
- Weight loss surgery revisions, performed as a result of inadequate weight loss, weight regain or complication from a previous weight loss procedure
Our surgeons will help you understand which type of weight loss surgery is best for you based on your BMI, additional medical conditions and future health goals.
With seven convenient locations across the greater Houston area, Houston Methodist offers bariatric surgery near your home or work:
- Texas Medical Center
- Clear Lake
- Sugar Land
- West Houston/Katy
- The Woodlands