COVID-19 Patient & Visitor Information
Update on procedures and surgeries: Houston Methodist is open, safely seeing patients and following the governor's order. Because the order’s ban on elective surgeries is contingent upon a hospital’s capacity to care for COVID-19 patients, we are currently able to continue with most elective surgeries and procedures. Please consult with your doctor to confirm. Know that we are continuously monitoring our hospital’s capacity and have the ability to adjust it on a daily, weekly and monthly basis.
If you are scheduled for labs, imaging or a doctor’s visit, your appointment should take place as scheduled. If you are scheduled for surgery, you will be notified if there are any changes.
The safety, health and well-being of all of our patients is our top priority. Rest assured, the number of COVID patients in our hospitals has declined — and continues to do so — now 12% of our total hospital/ICU capacity. These patients continue to be quarantined, isolated from other patients, allowing us to treat everyone in our community who needs care — just as we always have.
You can be confident we are taking every necessary precaution to keep you safe during your visit, including:
- Isolating COVID-19 patients from other patients
- Screening all patients and essential visitors when entering our facilities
- Requiring all patients, visitors and employees to wear a mask
- Implementing social distancing in our waiting rooms and elevators
- Minimizing waiting in public spaces
- Elevating our cleaning and housekeeping practices
- Offering remote check-in
Non-COVID hospitalized patients
- Visitation is limited to 1 designated visitor (18 years or older) per patient for the entire stay (not a rotation of visitors throughout the patient’s stay) in all medical surgical areas from 8 a.m. – 6 p.m. Visitors may not stay overnight.
- Intensive care unit (ICU) visitation is limited to 1 designated visitor per stay from 1 p.m. – 5 p.m.
- We encourage you to use electronic communication, such as a smartphone or video chat whenever possible.
- If you feel an exception is needed, please speak to management.
Non-COVID surgical patients
On the day of surgery (either incoming for surgery or already hospitalized), 1 designated visitor is allowed to stay in the waiting room during surgery, then accompany the patient back to the unit until 6 p.m.
Non-COVID procedures, treatments and doctor appointments
Please avoid bringing visitors with you for testing, treatment, and therapy. Patients may bring 1 visitor (18 years or older) to doctor appointments when necessary. Visitors will be subject to the clinic’s screening and protection criteria.
One designated visitor per patient will be allowed in the emergency room and must remain in the patient’s room. Patients
who have tested positive in the past 20 days or are under evaluation for COVID-19 will not be permitted visitors. Appropriate
signage will be displayed.
COVID hospitalized patients
No visitors are permitted. Exceptions will be made on a case-by-case basis.
Applicability and exceptions
- All designated visitors must be 18 years or older, agree to comply with all PPE requirements, and agree to participate in entry-point screening.
- Special consideration will be made for disabled patients who may need more than 1 designated visitor to provide support and knowledge about their care. In these circumstances, caregivers may rotate the role of visitor and they may stay past visiting hours. Decisions regarding visitors of disabled individuals will be made collaboratively with nursing leadership.
- For the Neonatal ICU, 1 parent at a time will be allowed to visit.
- Visitor policies will vary for post-acute units such as skilled nursing facilities (SNFs) and long-term acute care hospitals (LTACHs).
Everyone must wear a mask at all times while in Houston Methodist facilities. While not mandatory, we encourage you to also wear a face shield for additional protection.
COVID-19 Hospital Entrance Information
Please visit the following campus web pages to see the most up-to-date information on hospital entrances:
- Houston Methodist Hospital
- Houston Methodist Baytown Hospital
- Houston Methodist Clear Lake Hospital
- Houston Methodist Sugar Land Hospital
- Houston Methodist West Hospital
- Houston Methodist Willowbrook Hospital
- Houston Methodist The Woodlands Hospital