- Orientation x 1 month
- Cardiovascular Surgery ICU (CVICU) x 2 months
- Medical ICU (MICU) x 2 months
- Cardiac ICU (CICU) x 1 month
- Surgery & Liver ICU (SLICU) x 1 month
- Neurosurgical ICU (NICU) x 1 month
- Research & Management I x 1 month
- Research & Management II x 1 month
Elective Learning Experiences
Up to two elective learning experiences may be selected. All electives are 1 month learning experiences and may include (but are not limited to the following):
- Bone Marrow Transplant
- Emergency Department
- Infectious Diseases
- Mechanical Circulatory Support Devices
- Solid Organ Transplant
Academia, Pediatric ICU, Medical ICU (Houston Methodist Sugar Land), Neuro Trauma ICU, Nutrition, and Shock Trauma ICU are external rotations and subject to availability.
Residents may also repeat any rotations in which they have a particular interest.
The resident will participate in the department’s continuous quality improvement programs. The resident also participates in recruitment for the PGY2 Critical Care Pharmacy Residency Program.
- Clinical staffing every third weekend in the ICU setting and one weekday evening shift every two weeks averaged over a four week period.
- Resident will work two holidays.
- In December, the resident will provide 40 hours of traditional pharmacy staffing in the ICU satellite pharmacy while identifying a process improvement project.
- Resident will serve as the code blue primary pharmacy preceptor on the average of one week every month.
- Poster presentation at Vizient Pharmacy Network Meeting
- Platform presentation at the Texas Medical Center Critical Care Research Forum
- One hour ACPE-accredited continuing education program
- The resident will complete a major research project with the guidance of a preceptor. The manuscript from this project must be in publishable form by the end of the residency year. The resident will also plan and design a major research project for the next year’s residency class in collaboration with a preceptor.
- A quality improvement project is also required which is often a Medication Use Evaluation.
- One writing assignment for publication, in addition to the major project, will be completed within the residency year.
- The resident will complete a process improvement project.
- ASHP Midyear Clinical Meeting
- Society of Critical Care Medicine Annual Congress
- Society of Critical Care Medicine Texas Chapter Symposium
- Texas Medical Center Critical Care Research Forum