Fondren Inflammatory Bowel Disease Program
Our gastroenterologists are among the nation’s leaders in the treatment and diagnosis of IBD. Collaborating with a highly skilled team of surgeons, radiologists, research scientists, pathologists, nutritionists, psychologists and other medical specialists, our doctors evaluate all patients and set forth therapies for even the most complex cases of IBD.
Areas of Expertise
- Ulcerative colitis
- Crohn’s disease
- Pregnancy and women’s health in IBD
- Transition of care from pediatric to adult care in IBD
- Colon cancer surveillance in IBD with chromoendoscopy, using a dye during endoscopy to highlight potential intestinal tract lesions. Instead of removing a patient’s colon, our experts use this technique to closely detect precancerous lesions and remove them completely
- Minimally Invasive and laparoscopic surgical techniques with enhanced recovery
- Clinical trials – all eligible patents can participate in clinical trials that study new IBD treatments
Why Houston Methodist?
Houston Methodist Hospital is ranked best in Texas and No. 8 in the nation by U.S. News & World Report for Gastroenterology and GI Surgery. U.S. News & World Report has also named Houston Methodist Hospital the No. 1 hospital in Texas every year since the award began and one of the nation's best as a nationally ranked Honor Roll hospital. Learn more.
Our specialists are committed to accurately diagnosing and providing you the best possible treatment and personalized patient care. We have decades of experience treating and researching digestive disorders, which affect millions of people nationwide.
Our vast IBD experience and stellar reputation mean that patients from Texas and around the country travel to our center for treatment. Many have suffered for years from conditions that prevented them from working and reduced the quality of their lives.
Our doctors have access to state-of-the-art diagnostic technology to assess and effectively treat gastrointestinal patients. Our clinicians and scientists work to advance discoveries of innovative and personalized treatments. Our services include:
- Upper endoscopy to explore possible upper gastrointestinal tract involvement
- Colonoscopy with high-resolution endoscopy
- Endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography (ERCP) for diagnosing primary sclerosing cholangitis, a disease that damages and blocks bile ducts of the liver, which can occur in some patients with IBD. This procedure uses a flexible, lighted scope and X-ray to check the tubes (ducts) that drain the liver, gallbladder and pancreas
- Capsule endoscopy (uses a tiny, pill-sized wireless camera to take pictures of your digestive tract) of the small intestines, an area difficult to study through conventional endoscopy
- Anorectal manometry and biofeedback training, which can help distinguish pelvic floor dysfunction and improve incontinence in those who can benefit from biofeedback
- Advanced imaging studies, including computed tomography (CT) enterogrophy (uses CT imagery and a contrast material to view inside the small intestine), MR enterography (MRE), MRCP (a non-invasive MRI of the biliary and pancreatic ducts) and MR enterogrophy (a minimally invasive imaging test of the small intestine)
- Expert pathologists who diagnose IBD as well as detect pre-cancerous lesions or masses and cancer
- Infusion therapy in an on-site infusion suite
- Innovative and advanced laparoscopic and minimally invasive surgical techniques to provide speedy recovery with less pain and small scars
- Clinical trials are available to help patients who have failed some or all of currently approved medications for IBD.
- Working with referring physicians to achieve the best possible patient experience and outcomes while maintaining the primary patient-physician relationship
Alberto Barroso, MD
Steven J. Frachtman, MD
F. Lyone Hochman, MD, FACP, FRCPC
Brian H. Kaplan, MD
Sandeep Lahoti, MD
Frank Meriano, MD
Eamonn Quigley, MD
Matthew Tompson, MD
Fernando M. Urrutia, MD
Karen L. Woods, MD
Eric Haas MD, FACS, FASCRS
Michael J. Snyder, MD