Required Learning Experiences
There are size required rotational learning experiences each of which is one month in duration with the exception of the first internal medicine learning experience (IM I) which is two months.
- Internal Medicine
- IM I
- IM II
- IM III (precepting)
- Medical Intensive Care Unit
Elective Learning Experiences
Four elective learning experiences each of which is 1 month in duration with the option for a fifth learning experience for residents who have early committed to the program
- Ambulatory Care
- Bone Marrow Transplant
- Emergency Medicine
- Infectious Diseases
- Medication Safety
- Nutrition Support
- Solid Organ Transplant
Residents may repeat any rotations in which they have a particular interest and they are not limited to rotations only offered at Houston Methodist.
- Clinical staffing every third weekend and one weekday evening shift every two weeks averaged over a four week period
- Resident may be asked to provide traditional staffing coverage in the central pharmacy if it is deemed that additional experience in this area is needed
- Resident will work two holidays
- Poster presentation at Vizient Pharmacy Network Meeting
- Platform presentation at Midwest Pharmacy Residents Conference
- One hour ACPE-accredited continuing education program
- Resident may have an opportunity to present at an internal conference or provide a lecture at a local university.
- The resident will complete a major research project with the guidance of a preceptor. The manuscript from this project must be in publishable form by the end of the residency year. The resident will also plan and design a major research project for the next year’s residency class in collaboration with a preceptor.
- A quality improvement project is also required which is often a Medication Use Evaluation or Quality Analysis of existing protocols
- ASHP Midyear Clinical Meeting
- Midwest Pharmacy Residents Conference
- ACCP Annual Fall Meeting or specialty meeting