Eligibility and Application
Core rotations include two, two-month blocks of internal medicine, one month of endocrinology and one month of medical intensive care.
Two elective rotations may be selected. Electives may include (but are not limited to) the following: academia, bone marrow transplant, cardiology, hematology/oncology, infectious diseases, medication safety, neurology, pulmonary, psychiatry, research/management and transplantation. Residents may repeat any rotations in which they have a particular interest and they are not limited to rotations only offered at Houston Methodist.
- Provide weekend coverage of mainly internal medicine floors
- Resident must work one major and one minor holiday
- Poster presentation at ASHP Midyear Clinical Meeting
- Platform presentation at Midwest Pharmacy Residents Conference
- ACPE-Accredited Continuing Education Program
- Noon Conference/University Lecture
- Each resident is expected to plan, design and complete a research project with the guidance of a preceptor. Projects are presented at the UHC/ASHP Midyear Clinical Meeting and/or the Midwest Pharmacy Residents Conference.
- Each resident is required to complete one additional smaller project, which is often a Medication Use Evaluation or Quality Analysis of existing protocols.
- ASHP Midyear Clinical Meeting
- Midwest Pharmacy Residents Conference
- ACCP Annual Fall Meeting
Houston Methodist pharmacy residency programs have specific hiring process and employee requirements.
Apply through PhORCAS and provide all required materials.
The initial interview is conducted via PPS or phone, and secondary interviews take place onsite.
Selection is through the National Matching Services. Once you are matched with Houston Methodist, you will receive an offer letter to sign and return to the respective residency program director.
Drug/Tobacco and Background Screening:
Houston Methodist is committed to improving the health of our patients, employees and community. As a health care provider, it is our responsibility to promote a healthier environment for our employees. Accordingly, effective January 1, 2013, Houston Methodist no longer hires tobacco users. Applicants will be tested for tobacco usage during the post-offer physical and drug screening. If an applicant tests positive for tobacco use, the offer will be rescinded.
Onboarding and Orientation:
Residents new to Houston Methodist will spend their first month getting oriented to the hospital, pharmacy department, computer systems and residency program. If you are not already BLS- or ACLS-certified, you will complete these certifications during this time. All PGY-2 residents will be asked to provide evidence of successful completion of a PGY-1 program to their residency program director.
You will have 90 days from your start date to become licensed in the state of Texas. It is advised to start the process once you find out you are matched with Houston Methodist Hospital.
Annual Review Process in October:
During this period, you will complete required employee in-services, get your influenza vaccine, perform TB testing and any other pharmacy employee requirements.
For Additional Information
Contact us: 713.790.3333
Outside Houston: 877.790.3627