Eligibility & Application
Please note that we are currently accepting applications for medical student away rotations via VSAS.
- Our urology residency program participates in the AUA Urology Match.
- Residency applications and required documentation must be submitted through the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS).
- In ERAS we are listed under the name Methodist Hospital (Houston). All applicants must apply to AUA Urology Match.
- All applications are carefully reviewed. Selected applicants are notified electronically, via ERAS, to interview.
- PGY1 applicants are no longer required to register with the National Resident Matching Program (NRMP).
- Please limit inquiries regarding application status.
Applicants must have graduated from medical school within four years of application and meet one of the following criteria:
- Graduates of medical schools in the U.S. and Canada accredited by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME)
- Graduates of colleges of osteopathic medicine in the U.S. accredited by the American Osteopathic Association (AOA)
- Graduates of medical schools outside of the U.S. and Canada or graduates of medical schools outside the U.S. who have completed a Fifth Pathway program provided by an LCME-accredited medical school who meet the following qualifications:
- Hold a current valid certificate from the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG).
- Is a U.S. citizen, naturalized U.S. citizen or permanent resident
The documentation listed below must be submitted with the application:
- Official medical school transcript and diploma in original language and in English (copied and notarized, stating that it is a true copy of the original)
- Dean’s letter
- Three letters of recommendation
- Valid ECFMG certificate (if applicable)
- Curriculum vitae
- USMLE/COMLEX Scores (must possess a passing score to be eligible for review)
- Personal statement
OPTIONAL: Please include your answers in an addendum to your personal statement: What is the reason you wish to do residency training at Houston Methodist? What can you provide as something essential for us to know about you as a Urology residency applicant to our program? This is an opportunity to personalize your personal statement to our program.
Interview Selection Process
- All information must be submitted prior to an application being reviewed.
- Interviews are by invitation only. If you have been selected for an interview, you will be contacted by us.
Virtual interviews will be offered on the following days: Mon., Nov. 23, 2020 & Fri., Dec. 4, 2020
Important Notice About Employment at Houston Methodist
Houston Methodist is committed to improving the health of our patients, employees and communities around us. As a health care provider, it’s our responsibility to promote a healthier environment for those employed in our facilities. Job seekers will be tested for tobacco/nicotine products usage, including nicotine gum and patches, during the post-offer physical.
Effective Jan. 1, 2013, Houston Methodist Hospital will no longer enroll/hire residents and fellows who use products containing nicotine. A positive nicotine test at the pre-employment health screen is a failure to meet the conditions of employment, is considered a violation of the employment contract by the applicant and will result in inability to start the program. The matched applicant's inability to start the training program will be reported to the NRMP.
If a potential resident/fellow tests positive for tobacco use, the offer will be rescinded and individuals will be given the opportunity to participate in a free tobacco cessation program provided by Houston Methodist. Residents wishing to reapply after testing positive for tobacco may do so 90 days after the date the initial offer was rescinded.
Although applicants who are not allowed to start may be re-tested in 90 days, programs will not be obligated to hold the position for the applicant since a positive test result is considered a violation of the match agreement between the applicant and Houston Methodist Hospital.
Department of Urology
6560 Fannin St., Scurlock Tower 2100
Houston, TX 77030