The LAPPE Program trains student pharmacists using a longitudinal training program that integrates clinical experiences with scholarship and professional service to prepare students for post-graduate training.
- Ensure students meet the core clinical competencies according to university experiential learning objectives
- Provide students with continual and constructive feedback between rotations to foster clinical and professional growth
- Develop students’ research skills with mentorship from pharmacy clinicians and residents
- Strengthen students’ presentation skills
- Enhance students’ communication abilities with patients and healthcare professionals
- Integrate students into departmental initiatives and projects to understand the scope of clinical services offered
- Improve students’ abilities to obtain their desired residency or clinical pharmacy position
- Students will complete a total of 5 rotations during the LAPPE Program from Texas Block 1 to Texas Block 5 (May through December).
- Required rotations (3):
- Advanced Hospital
- Internal Medicine
- Selective* (e.g. Medication Safety, Pharmacy Administration/Management, Drug Information, Informatics, Investigational Drug Service/Industry, Research, Specialty Pharmacy)
- Electives (2):
- Critical Care, Infectious Diseases, Oncology
(Ambulatory), Emergency Medicine
- Critical Care, Infectious Diseases, Oncology (Ambulatory), Emergency Medicine
*Selective can be completed at the specific LAPPE Program hospital site, but if specific selective is not available at that hospital site then the student can complete the selective at an alternative HM site. Hospital-specific selective offerings will be discussed in detail during the interview.
- Research project with the opportunity to present at national or regional meeting
- Professional development series (e.g. midyear preparation, mock interviews, CV reviews, etc.)
- Formal mentorship program
- Presentation development (e.g. formal case presentations, journal clubs, topic discussions etc.)
- System and Houston Methodist The Woodlands subcommittee involvement (Pharmacy and Therapeutics subcommittee involvement, Medication Safety, Medication Usage and Formulary Evaluation Committee)