Flow Cytometry Core Equipment & Facilities
Flow cytometry is a laser-based technology used to analyze and sort cells, detect cell surface markers, and engineered proteins. Our instrumentation includes four analyzers and two cell sorter.
- BD FACS LSRII is a five-laser analyzer with 355, 405, 488, 561 and 630 nm excitation sources available. It is capable of 17-color analysis including forward-scatter (FSC) and side-scatter (SSC) parameters.
- BD FACS Fortessa is a four-laser instrument with 405, 488, 561 and 630 nm excitation sources available, capable of 15-color analysis as well as FSC and SSC parameters. It is also equipped with a special FSC PMT (photomultiplier tube) for detection of smaller particles.
- Millipore 8-HT Guava is a two laser with 488 and 635 nm excitation (5 colors from the 488 and 2 from the 635 laser). The 8-HT also has 96 well capability for screening assays and can be used for basic cell cycle analysis, viability, and cell counting.
- Amnis ImageStream X is a multi-laser system capable of individual multi-color cell analysis. We share this instrument with the Advanced Cellular and Tissue Microscopy Core.
- BD FACS NIR AriaII cell sorter is a six-laser instrument with 355, 405, 488, 550, 641 and 785 nm excitation sources, capable of 18-color parameters, including FSC and SSC. It is also equipped with a special FSC PMT (photomultiplier tube) for higher detection levels. It can sort a variety of cells and has temperature controlled sort and collection chambers. Four-way sorting is available (5 mL, 1.5 mL and 1.1 mL tubes only) as is two-2 way sorting into 15ml tubes. The instrument can sort into almost any type of plate.
- BD FACS SORP AriaII cell sorter is a four-laser instrument with 405, 488, 550, and 641 nm excitation sources, capable of 13-color parameters including FSC and SSC. It can sort a variety of cells and has temperature controlled sort and collection chambers. Four-way sorting is available (5 mL, 1.5 mL and 1.1 mL tubes only) as is two-2 way sorting into 15ml tubes. The instrument can sort into almost any type of plate.
- LX 200 Luminex Multiplexing Assay System. The Luminex 200 system is a flow cytometry based analyzer that enables the researcher analyze multiplex assay reactions that allow for the simultaneous measurement of up to 100 analytes in one single microplate well. The multiplex assays are designed for small volume analysis on blood plasma, cell supernatant, and serum samples from both animal and human subjects.
To make the best use of our equipment, consultations with the Director are available by appointment and strongly recommended prior to performing experiments. Our staff can advise you on experimental design, sample preparation, the proper tubes to use, controls, and assist with experiments using multi-colors.