Sports Physical Therapy Residency - Houston Methodist Hospital
The Houston Methodist Sports Physical Therapy residency is intended for physical therapists seeking to advance their career in the area of sports physical therapy. The program is designed to provide clinical and educational training that will accelerate the resident's professional development as an independent practitioner of advanced sports therapy and a contributor to scientific research and literature. Houston Methodist Orthopedics & Sports Medicine is the highest nationally ranked orthopedics program in Texas, according to U.S. News & World Report. Our skilled team of orthopedic surgeons, primary care sports medicine physicians, physical and occupational therapists and athletic trainers use the latest innovative techniques and pioneer new technology to deliver exceptional care to patients with musculoskeletal injuries or disorders.
The Houston Methodist Sports Physical Therapy Residency is a 12-15 month program starting in August of each year. The program provides physical therapists with high quality opportunities and experiences within the sports realm. The program offers clinical, didactic, and on-field experiences with a special focus on the athletic patient of all levels. Residents can expect high quality 1:1 mentorship from board-certified sports and orthopedic specialists and fellowship-trained manual therapists. Working alongside world-class physicians and other professionals, the resident will also develop interdisciplinary relationships for a true collaborative approach to sports medicine.
Houston Methodist is the official health care provider for the Houston Texans, Houston Astros, Houston Rodeo, Houston Ballet, Houston Symphony and Rice University. Residents will have the opportunity to gain observation, mentoring and on-the-field hours with many of these organizations. All residents are employed as full-time Houston Methodist employees and, as such, are eligible to receive the comprehensive Houston Methodist benefits package.
- Provide comprehensive clinical and didactic experiences to provide physical therapists with advanced clinical skills and the ability to perform critical reasoning to enable advanced proficiency in the care of athletes
- Participate in on-field sports coverage with our partnering organizations for a well-rounded sports experience
- Attend professional conferences within the field of sports medicine
- Utilize and critically assess scientific literature to incorporate evidence-based techniques into clinical practice
- Obtain APTA board certification as a clinical specialist in sports physical therapy
For more information about the Houston Methodist Sports Physical Therapy Residency, please contact:
Kelly Holland, Residency Coordinator