Make an Appointment
Call 713-790-3333 to make an appointment or ask questions.
Erectile dysfunction (ED)—also known as male impotence—is a condition in which a man either cannot have an erection or cannot sustain an erection long enough to finish having sex. Houston Methodist’s urology services team offers patients many treatment options for ED, including hormone therapy and specially designed penile implants to increase function.
What Causes Erectile Dysfunction?
While getting older can affect a man’s ability to achieve and sustain an erection to some degree, erectile dysfunction is not a natural part of aging. It can be caused by many different factors, including:
- High blood pressure (hypertension)
- Atherosclerosis (hardening of the arteries)
- Stress, anxiety or depression
- Alcohol and tobacco use
- Some prescription medications
- Brain or spinal-cord injuries
- Hypogonadism (the body doesn’t produce enough testosterone)
- Multiple sclerosis
- Parkinson's disease
- Radiation therapy to the testicles
- Prior prostate or bladder surgery
Learn more about erectile dysfunction (ED):
To learn more about erectile dysfunction treatments at Houston Methodist or to make an appointment,
please call us at 713-790-3333.