Childbirth & Obstetrics Services
Find an OB-GYN Specialist Near You
Specialized and Natural Childbirth Options
Houston Methodist's board-certified OB-GYNs provide highly specialized childbirth care for moms-to-be who want more options, including natural childbirth. Your dedicated birthing team delivers the level of care you need and are comfortable with — with the advanced care needed if challenges arise. We offer:
- A collaborative team of pediatricians, neonatologists, pain management specialists and registered birthing nurses that works closely with your OB-GYN
- An advanced NICU to closely monitor high-risk and premature babies
- Maternal fetal medicine doctors specializing in high-risk pregnancies and prenatal diagnoses, including first-trimester screenings
- Alternative birthing options, including birthing plans, natural pain control and more
- Holistic amenities, including birthing balls and aromatherapy with essential oils, to create a calming environment
- Breastfeeding support and childbirth classes, as well as postpartum care and education
- Midwifery services for expectant mothers with low-risk pregnancies seeking “high-touch, low-intervention” prenatal, obstetric and gynecologic care
Dedicated to You and Your Baby
Our nurses are committed to the health, safety and comfort of you and your baby and family before, during and after delivery. We provide the support, guidance and expertise you need to ensure your pregnancy goes as planned, as is exactly as you imagined it would be.
Childbirth Center Resources
Classes and Tours
Houston Methodist Childbirth Centers offer a variety of virtual and in-person classes, presented by our childbirth educators. Click here to check availability at a location near you and to register.
Childbirth center tours allow expectant parents to ask questions and become familiar with the hospital and services provided. You can register online or you can call 713.790.3333 and select option 3.
To begin your maternity preregistration online, click here.
Birth Certificate and Social Security Card Information
At the hospital, you will be asked to complete the Mother’s Worksheet for Child’s Birth Certificate. You may begin the form at home or complete it during your stay. Prior to discharge, this form must be completed and validated for accuracy by one of our birth registrars. Learn more.
Breastfeeding & Lactation Services
Breastfeeding is a special occurrence between mother and baby — and it is a bond that can take time for you and your baby to establish. At Houston Methodist Childbirth Centers, we encourage breastfeeding as the preferred method of feeding newborns and infants. To this end, we offer lactation support to breastfeeding mothers. Our nursing staff is well-trained to assist new mothers with breastfeeding decisions to ensure you are comfortable feeding your baby during your stay with us as well as at home.
Childbirth Amenities, Services & Staff
OUR CHILDBIRTH CENTERS INCLUDE:
- Obstetrician-gynecologists (ob-gyns) available 24 hours a day
- Tranquil, private, family centered labor and delivery suites
- Neonatal nurses available for consultation before delivery
- Neonatology and pediatric support teams
- Epidural pain management and anesthesiologists available 24 hours a day
- Lactation support
- Hearing screening services
- Around-the-clock maternity unit access for family members
Our nurses are experienced, dedicated and have a true love and passion for newborns. We understand the impact a caring nurse can have on a mother’s birthing experience, which is why each mother is assigned a devoted nurse to care for her throughout her labor and delivery. A neonatal nurse, who brings a specialized level of training, is also present at every delivery to provide responsive care to your newborn. Our nursing team is dedicated to the health, safety and comfort of you and your baby before, during and after delivery.
Choosing a Pediatrician
The state requires every newborn to receive screenings, which is why it is important to appoint a pediatrician when you register for delivery. Should you choose a pediatrician who does not practice at your childbirth center location, an attending pediatrician who is on-staff will evaluate your newborn during your stay with us.
To find the right pediatrician, click here or call 713.790.3333.
Pregnancy & Childbirth "On Health" Blog Articles