Midwifery Services at Willowbrook
Experience MidwiferyThe certified nurse-midwives (CNMs) at Houston Methodist Willowbrook Hospital provide comprehensive, holistic health care and wellness care to women, including family planning, gynecologic checkups, prenatal care, in-hospital births and post-partum care. CNMs assist women in becoming actively involved in their health care and birthing journey.
CNMs respect the natural process of birth. Each mother can bring her birth plan to her CNM with full confidence that her wishes will be honored and respected, with little to no unnecessary interventions. The CNM birthing team understands that every woman and every birth is unique. We will work with you to create the childbirth experience you desire, within the comfort and safety of Houston Methodist Willowbrook Hospital.
Our certified nurse-midwives are trained medical professionals who specialize in helping mothers deliver their babies safely and naturally. CNMs are licensed, independent health care providers who adhere to the standard practices of nurse midwifery set forth by the American College of Nurse Midwives. They adhere to the same standards of care as physicians with a holistic approach.
Our midwifery model enhances the hospital’s ob-gyn services by offering 24-hour coverage for new moms who prefer to partner with a certified nurse-midwife specially trained for safe, natural deliveries. This places the desires of the laboring mother as the primary focus. If needed, seamless physician and/or surgical intervention can be provided.
Midwives provide a full spectrum of guidance and support through a woman’s lifespan. Family planning, pregnancy, labor, delivery and birth are all directed by certified nurse-midwives in an atmosphere of trust and compassion.
Our services include:
- Well-woman care
- Family planning/birth control
- Preconception counseling
- Prenatal care, in-hospital birth and postpartum care
- Breastfeeding support
- Couplet care – a mom and baby follow-up program that lasts for six weeks after birth. It is considered a fourth trimester service to ensure proper transition to the new home life. During couplet care, midwives check and monitor:
- Successful lactation
- Healthy diet and exercise choices
- Returning mom to a healthy weight
- Postpartum depression/other risk factors
- Re-establishing a healthy sex life
- Re-adjustment to the new family dynamic