Comprehensive, compassionate care for complex psychiatric disorders
Houston Methodist offers high quality inpatient and outpatient programs and services to confront the complex and diverse mental health needs of our patients locally, nationally and from across the globe.
Inpatient treatment is for patients suffering from an acute mental health crisis. Hospitalization can help stabilize a variety of conditions, especially for individuals who need constant monitoring or may be in danger of harming themselves or others.
Our expert team goes beyond symptom reduction by robustly addressing the intersection of physical illness/pain and mental health, treatment-resistant depression and mood disorders, anxiety and phobias, dissociative and personality disorders, substance abuse, suicidality and many other psychiatric conditions.
We are also the only local facility attached to a nationally recognized hospital, enabling a variety of specialists to assess and treat a patient’s potential underlying medical causes of psychiatric symptoms, and vice-versa.
Why Choose Houston Methodist Psychiatry Services
As part of our dedication to healing the body and mind, we focus on helping patients thrive through a holistic and collaborative approach to complex psychiatric problems. By integrating a team-based structure, clinical expertise and medical innovation, Houston Methodist’s Psychiatry Services provides the comprehensive care patients need to achieve better health and attain their best possible quality of life. We offer:
- Expert care based on patients’ individual needs — from the most common to the most complex psychiatric disorders, including round-the-clock patient support
- A collaborative team of specialists at the top of their field committed to treating the whole person by addressing mental illness as well as any underlying medical conditions
- Both inpatient and outpatient treatment centers that provide a safe, confidential and caring environment and support the wellbeing of patients as they work towards recovery
- Access to clinical trials and research advances, offering patients promising new treatments from enhanced therapies to the latest in pharmacologic treatments and medication management
- Unique programs and services that address complex mental, behavioral and medical conditions to help patients function in everyday life
Services and Programs
Houston Methodist provides unparalleled inpatient and outpatient services tailored to patients’ specific mental health care needs.
For patients who are in crisis or at high risk of harming themselves or others, Houston Methodist provides exceptional inpatient care for the treatment of acute psychiatric conditions. Our medical team offers a full spectrum of inpatient psychiatry services and a multidisciplinary approach within a caring hospital setting. Services provided with inpatient mental health treatment include:
- Round-the-clock patient support
- General education on mental health conditions
- Group therapy
- Medication therapy
- Referral to appropriate outpatient psychiatric care after discharge
At Houston Methodist Behavioral Health, our team of specialists is committed to providing quality outpatient intervention while addressing each patient’s unique struggles, strengths and needs. We partner with patients and families to promote healthy lifestyle changes.
We offer the following specialty outpatient services:
Duration: 5 to 8 weeks, Monday-Friday, ~6 hours/day
Our 5 - 8 week Functional Rehabilitation Program is designed to help individuals who are increasingly constrained and subjected to chronic medical and psychiatric conditions. Our unique approach to treating our patients involves focusing on the broader context of their environment, rather than the illness or related symptoms in isolation. We aim to reduce symptoms where possible, to maximize a patient’s ability to live with purpose and vitality.
- Group psychotherapy
- Individual psychotherapy
- Interpersonal Therapy (IPT)
- Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT)
- Acceptance and commitment therapy (ACT)
- Behavioral activation (BA)
- Aqua/physical therapy
- Medically supervised detoxification (from addictive medications, including opioids)
- Pastoral counseling (as appropriate)
- Pharmacogenomics (personalization of non-addictive pain and psychiatric medications)
- Rehabilitation services
- Skin conductance biofeedback training (utilizing iPad-enabled devices)
- Wellness/personal trainer
Duration: 5 to 10 day program (dependent on patient needs)
We provide a thorough, multi-disciplinary assessment designed to produce maximal diagnostic clarity, optimize insight, and create a roadmap for future psychiatric interventions. Our assessment process incorporates a psychiatric evaluation, an analysis of past and present psychosocial factors, a family systems evaluation, psychological and personality testing, laboratory studies, diagnostic imaging and a pharmacological review including relevant genetic markers. The therapeutic assessment service duration varies depending on need, but typically lasts 5 to 10 days. Our core interdisciplinary team who conducts the assessment consists of highly trained psychiatrists, psychologists, neuropsychologists, social workers, counselors, and addiction specialists.
Our team of providers is available for one-on-one treatment and consultation. We offer services to meet the varied and dynamic needs of our clients, including medication management, individual psychotherapy, psychological testing, and neuropsychological evaluation. Individual services are often employed as an adjunct for clients participating in other programs or as part of aftercare for patients who have completed a program.
Intensive Outpatient Program (IOP)
Duration: Typically 2 to 4 months (dependent on patient needs)
- Following an initial individual assessment and introductory phase, patients participate in 16-20 hours of weekly group programming.
- Our transdiagnostic program is ideal for patients whose engagement, progress, or enjoyment in life has been compromised by problems with moods, emotions, painful thought processes, difficult interpersonal patterns or avoidance.
- We provide an environment conducive to helping our patients choose behaviors that align with their personal life goals, even in the presence of struggle, difficult internal experiences and external challenges.
- The Intensive Outpatient program blends elements of Acceptance and Commitment Therapy, Dialectical Behavioral Therapy, and Compassion-Focused Therapy within a group support context.
- Experiential activities
- Mindfulness training
- Creative expression
- Process groups
Our psychiatrists are experts in the interventional alternatives used to ease treatment-resistant depression — which occurs when depression symptoms persist despite treatment with at least two oral antidepressants. We offer the following interventional neuropsychiatric services:
- Electroconvulsive therapy (ECT) — an effective option that can reverse symptoms of severe depression relatively quickly, but has temporary side effects including confusion and memory loss
- SPRAVATO (eskatmine) nasal spray —can improve symptoms of depression in a wide range of individuals, and is self-administered under the supervision of a health care professional
- Transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS) — a noninvasive intervention that uses magnetic fields to ease symptoms of depression and improve mood
Excellent doctors are not immune to the stressors that are inherent to their profession. Our confidential program seeks to gain a full understanding of factors that can impede physician performance or work and life satisfaction. We provide a full range of assessment services and interventions to those experiencing a personal or professional crisis. While we specialize in giving both preventive and long-term therapeutic support, our ultimate goal is to help each patient achieve a healthy personal and professional quality of life.
For more information on our outpatient services, please call 346.238.2040 or visit: Houston Methodist Behavioral Health