Hereditary Eye Diseases
Milder forms of eye disease are also strongly influenced by genetic factors:
- Strabismus (also called crossed eyes)
- Amblyopia (also called lazy eyes)
- Myopia (also called nearsightedness)
- Hyperopia (also called farsightedness)
- Astigmatism (blurred vision due to irregular shape of the cornea)
Treating Hereditary Eye Diseases
There are various treatments for the many different types of hereditary eye disease. At Houston Methodist you will receive a thorough eye exam, and your medical and genetic histories will be considered before treatment begins.
Some mild forms of eye disease require no intervention, while other forms are treated with eye patches, prescription glasses or medication. In some cases surgery is necessary to improve vision or to avoid serious complications. At Houston Methodist an interdisciplinary team of doctors, including ophthalmologists, geneticists and other specialists, works to ensure the highest quality of patient care.