Objectives of Observership:
The primary objective for this program is to provide students with the opportunity to understand and experience the various aspects of institutional pharmacy. Under the guidance and/or supervision of certified pharmacy technicians and/or registered pharmacists, the observers shall:
- Observe preparation of sterile parenteral admixtures and learn about medication distribution
- Spend time with staff pharmacists in both centralized and decentralized pharmacy settings to understand their roles and duties
- Observe pharmacy residents, clinical pharmacists, and clinical specialists in their various daily activities, which may include rounding, attending meetings, and participating in student presentations/journal clubs
- Attend meetings with pharmacy managers and spend time learning about their daily activities
- Participate in various departmental research projects (quality improvement initiatives and process improvements projects)
- Present information in multiple venues which may include staff meetings, hospital committees and small groups if time permits
Number of positions available:
Dates of Observership:
June 6-July 15, 2022
Credit Hours Earned for Pharmacy College or Texas State Board of Pharmacy Hours:
We will accept applications starting at 9 am on Tuesday, October 5th, 2021 through Friday, October 8th, 2021. Please note we will review the first 25 applications received. Any applications beyond the first 25 or outside of our submission window will not be accepted.
To apply for the Pharmacy Summer Observership Program:
Submit the following via email to Kathryn N. Pidcock, PharmD, BCPS at firstname.lastname@example.org
1. Letter of Intent – including your reasons to pursue the observership program and career goals
2. Curriculum Vitae (or resume)
Applicants may be offered a phone interview with the selection committee. The phone interview will last approximately 15-20 minutes. No on-site interview is required.
Paperwork required once selected:
The Houston Methodist Hospital Education Institute application, Department of Pharmacy application and tobacco screening.
For further information, see our FAQ page or please contact:
Kathryn N. Pidcock, PharmD, BCPS at email@example.com
Kathryn Pidcock, PharmD, BCPS
Clinical Specialist, Internal Medicine