As part of a comprehensive treatment plan, many physicians prescribe nutritional education and counseling, or medical nutrition therapy (MNT). MNT refers to the assessment of the nutritional status of a patient with an illness or diet-related condition, such as diabetes, heart disease, obesity, gastrointestinal disease or kidney disease.
Who qualifies for medical nutrition therapy?
- Individuals 18 years or older
- Patients with a doctor’s referral (insurance may cover MNT)
What should I expect from medical nutrition therapy?
- One-on-one instruction sessions with a registered, licensed dietitian, along with follow-up sessions as needed
- An individualized treatment plan that meets your specific health and dietary needs
- Advanced counseling and coaching
- A detailed report sent to your doctor on your evaluation, prescribed care plan and proposed follow-up care
MedGem® (Metabolic Analysis)
As part of the MNT program at the Houston Methodist Weight Management Center, participants have the ability to use the MedGem®. This is a machine that uses a hand-held device to measure your resting metabolic rate easily and accurately. Your resting metabolic rate is unique to you and reflects the minimum number of calories required to maintain your bodily functions (brain activity, heartbeat and breathing) at rest. Your dietitian uses the results of this test to create a weight loss program tailored specifically for you.
Houston Methodist provides medical nutrition consultations at the following convenient locations.