The Summer Pharmacy Observership Program at Houston Methodist is a six-week, hands-on experience designed to provide an introduction to hospital-based pharmacy for students enrolled in a Doctor of Pharmacy program who have completed their first or second year.
There are two observership positions available from June 9-July 18, 2014. Candidates should be available in the local area one to two weeks prior to start date to complete necessary paperwork and drug/tobacco screening.
The program does not offer a stipend or credit hour for Pharmacy College or Texas State Board of Pharmacy Hours.
Objectives of Observership
The primary objective for this program is to provide students with the opportunity to understand and experience the various aspects of institutional pharmacy. Under the guidance and/or supervision of certified pharmacy technicians and/or registered pharmacists, the students will observe many facets of a daily pharmacy student's life:
- Observe preparation of sterile parenteral admixtures and learn about medication distribution
- Spend time with staff pharmacists in both centralized and decentralized pharmacy settings to understand their roles and duties
- Observe pharmacy residents, clinical pharmacists and clinical specialists in their various daily activities, which may include rounding, attend meetings and student presentations/journal clubs
- Attend meetings with pharmacy managers and spend time learning about their daily activities
- Participate in various departmental research projects (quality improvement initiatives and process improvements projects)
- Have opportunities to present information in multiple venues, which may include staff meetings, hospital committees and small groups, time permitting
The application deadline is the last day of February each year.
To apply for a position, submit a letter of intent (including your reasons to pursue the observership program and career goals) and resume to Anila Thomas PharmD, BCPS (athomas3@HoustonMethodist.org).
Applicants may be offered a phone interview with the selection committee. The phone interview will last approximately 20 minutes. No onsite interview is required. If selected, observers will have to submit the Houston Methodist Hospital Education Institute application the and Department of Pharmacy application, and submit to tobacco screening.
For Additional Information
Contact us: 713.790.3333
Outside Houston: 877.790.3627