Benefits of Volunteering
Although the highest rewards for volunteer service are both intangible and immeasurable, Houston Methodist wants to recognize your time and work performance by extending the following benefits:
Letters of Recommendation
Upon completion of 100 hours of service, your supervisor or the unit supervisor may write a letter of recommendation for employment, education or scholarship references.
Speakers from Houston Methodist address volunteers at service recognition luncheons and assembly meetings. These events are unique opportunities to hear about visions for the future of medicine, get answers to questions and meet the speakers.
Discounts for those who volunteer are also available:
- 15 percent discount on purchases at select hospital cafeterias, valid at The Market Place, The Bistro and Blue Water Café
- Free parking provided while volunteering
- Free flu shots given annually in October. Notification will be sent to inform volunteers of the date, time and location.
- Free TB screening scheduled prior to beginning volunteer work and repeated annually
- Free computer classes
- Free CPR certification
- National volunteer event participation
- Meal tickets upon completion of a four-hour shift
- Houston Methodist Wellness Center access upon completion of 300 volunteer hours
- 20 percent discount in hospital gift shop upon completion of 300 volunteer hours
- 20 percent discount on most items at Christy Optical
- View a surgery upon completion of 300 volunteer hours
- Free personal wellness profile
Find out more about volunteer training at the center near you