If you are admitted to Houston Methodist for surgery or medical treatment, your day-to-day care will be managed by a team of hospitalists, who are expert in providing specialized, coordinated care for inpatients (when you require a hospital stay).
What Our Hospitalists Do
Hospitalists are board-certified physicians who focus on the care of hospitalized patients. Every day you are in the hospital, your team of hospitalists will focus on your care:
- Reviewing your medical records and discussing your treatment plan with your primary care and specialist physicians
- Meeting with you to follow up on previous test results and discuss upcoming tests
- Arranging for specialty consultations and adjusting the treatment plan based on new findings
- Keeping all your treating physicians fully up to speed on your medical care
Because the team members are hospital-based, they are always close by in case of emergency and can respond quickly to changes in your condition.
How Our Hospitalists Can Help You
The hospitalist team is an important resource for you and your family. They continually evaluate you during your hospital stay:
- Answering questions about your diagnosis and treatment plan
- Reviewing available treatment options and recommending your participation in appropriate clinical trials
- Analyzing the pace of your recovery and discussing plans for discharge
- Ensuring your smooth transition from the hospital to home or follow-up care
By coordinating care with all of your treating physicians and by working closely with you and your family members, our hospitalists ensure that you receive the best care possible during your hospital stay.