Summer Undergraduate Research Internship
Join Us: June 1 – August 7, 2020
The Houston Methodist Institute for Academic Medicine offers an unparalleled 10-week summer student program that matches faculty members with medical students and college undergraduates as they focus on a single research project. Students also attend weekly didactic lectures given by mentors, invited speakers and other leaders. The internship consists of three programs: the Summer Undergraduate Research Internship (for undergraduate students interested in translational research), the Rosenberg Summer Surgical Fellowship (for undergraduate students interested in surgical shadowing), and the High School Research Internship (for high school students over the age of 16 interested in translational research). You are encouraged to review each program and its requirements before applying.
Application Instructions & Internship Timeline
The 2020 Summer Undergraduate Research Internship is now accepting applications! Before applying to the internship, please review the following:
- Google Chrome is the only recommended browser.
- To complete the application, you will have to register an account through the MERLIN application console. You must verify your email before starting the application.
- Review the instructions carefully, and complete the application fully.
- Ensure that you are completing the "Research Summer Intern" Learner Type, and the correct "subtype(s)" for your application.
- The "Default SURI Program" application is for the translational research internship, and is open to undergraduate students, and medical students between their first and second year of study.
- The Rosenberg Summer Surgical Fellowship is only for undergraduate students.
- The merit-based and need-based scholarships are only for the "Default SURI Program" application.
- Your college/high school transcript and resume/CV need to be submitted on the MERLIN application console at the "document upload" section.
- Two letters of recommendation must be emailed directly to HMSURI@houstonmethodist.org from your recommenders.
- Please review all application requirements for the Summer Undergraduate Research Internship, Rosenberg Summer Surgical Fellowship, and High School Research Internship carefully.
- Once you have read and understood these instructions, you may begin the 2020 Summer Undergraduate Research Internship Application.
- If you need assistance while applying, please download the Summer Internship Guide to the MERLIN Application Console.
The tentative timeline for the 2020 Summer Undergraduate Research Internship is as follows (dates subject to change):
- December 2, 2019: Application will be available.
- February 3, 2020: Application deadline.
- Late February 2020: Applicants are notified of acceptance.
- June 1, 2020: First day of the internship
- August 7, 2020: Last day of the internship.
For detailed information and instructions, please view our 2020 Summer Undergraduate Research Internship timeline.
Summer Undergraduate Research Internship Housing
The Summer Undergraduate Research Internship does not offer any housing placements directly through our program. However, we have partnered with local institutions to provide some summer options for those who may not be from the Houston metropolitan area. For details, please view the Summer Undergraduate Research Internship Housing Options.
We are here to help! For any questions, please contact:
- General questions: Corina Rosales, PhD, Faculty Program Director
- Questions regarding the MERLIN application console, letters of recommendation, or transcripts, contact us at email@example.com.
- Onboarding questions: Rebecca Dobry, Human Resources
Thank you for your interest in our internship, and best of luck to you.
OTHER INTERNSHIP OPPORTUNITIES
The Caring Teens Volunteer Program is a volunteer opportunity for high school students to serve at Houston Methodist during the summer. A full description for the Caring Teen Volunteer Program, as well as their application, can be found at their site. Please note that the Caring Teens Volunteer Program is for non-research volunteers only.