Summer Undergraduate Research Internship
May 29, 2017 – August 4, 2017
The best way to lure the brightest young minds to a career in biomedical research is to give them the opportunity to work in the laboratories of some of the nation's top scientists. Houston Methodist offers a 10-week summer student program for college undergraduates and medical students. The program matches students with faculty mentors in laboratories and focuses on a single research project. During this time, students attend required weekly didactic lectures given by the mentors and invited speakers.
The program also provides numerous opportunities for social interaction and networking, including a welcome reception, a sporting event and a retreat at the end of the program during which students present their work.
Some students continue working with their mentors after the end of the program to see the project to completion and co-author a resulting publication. Students may also return for additional research internships or find other research opportunities through the program.
Please take note of our application requirements for the 2017 internship.
The application requirements are as follows:
- Stated desire to do translational research. Details will be in the application.
- Competitive GPA
- Completed STEM coursework
- Only complete applications will be considered. The application will be available on December 1, 2016, and the deadline is January 15, 2017. Please see the "Application Instructions" section for details.
The following stipend levels will be applied to accepted students based on their coursework completed as of May 2017. The specific amounts will be determined by mid-March 2017.
|Education Level Completed*||Stipend|
|Undergradate - Year 1||Level 1|
|Undergradate - Year 2||Level 2|
|Undergradate - Year 3||Level 3|
|Medical Student/Graduated Senior||Level 4|
Once you have noted the above information, you may proceed to the application instructions.
The application deadline for the 2017 Summer Undergraduate Research Internship is January 15, 2017. The application will be available on December 1, 2016.
Here are some of the basic application instructions:
- The application console works properly in Google Chrome. It is the recommended browser.
- Applicants must make a login account at the application portal. Please check your registration email address to confirm your account before applying.
- Please be prepared to provide: your college transcript, two letters of recommendation, and proof of insurance on your application.
- These items will be uploaded on the third page of the application. Unofficial transcripts are permissible.
- Only complete applications will be considered.
Once you have noted the above information, you may apply starting December 1, 2016. As a reminder, all successful applicants must be able to commit to the full 10-week program with no exceptions. For any additional questions, you may contact us here.
OTHER INTERNSHIP OPPORTUNITIES
The deadline for the Houston Methodist DeBakey Institute for Cardiovascular Education & Training (DICET) summer internships has passed. Please check back next year for further updates. The summer 2017 application will open sometime early next year.
High School Volunteer Program
The application deadline for the 2016 Caring Teens volunteer experience has passed. Please check back next year for further updates. The 2017 application will open sometime in January 2017.
For Additional Information
Ashley James, MA
Trainee Affairs Coordinator