Summer Undergraduate Research Internship
May 29, 2017 – August 4, 2017
The best way to lure the brightest young minds to a career in biomedical research is to give them the opportunity to work in the laboratories of some of the nation's top scientists. Houston Methodist offers a 10-week summer student program for college undergraduates and medical students. The program matches students with faculty mentors in laboratories and focuses on a single research project. During this time, students attend required weekly didactic lectures given by the mentors and invited speakers.
The program also provides numerous opportunities for professional and career development, mentorship under faculty members, such as Ennio Tasciotti, PhD (pictured, center), and social and networking opportunities, including a welcome reception, a sporting event and a retreat at the end of the program during which students present their work. Some students even continue to work with their mentors at the conclusion of the internship, and in some cases get to see their projects conclude in co-authored publications.
Please take note of our application requirements for the 2017 internship.
The application requirements are as follows:
- Stated desire to do translational research. Details will be in the application.
- Tha application is open to current undegraduate students, graduated seniors, or medical students who will be between their first and second year during the summer of 2017.
- Competitive GPA
- Completed STEM coursework
- Only complete applications will be considered. The application will be available on December 1, 2016, and the deadline is January 16, 2017. Please see the "Application Instructions" section for details.
The following stipend levels will be applied to accepted students based on their coursework completed as of May 2017. The specific amounts will be determined by mid-March 2017.
|Education Level Completed*||Stipend|
|Undergraduate - Year 1||Level 1|
|Undergraduate - Year 2||Level 2|
|Undergraduate - Year 3||Level 3|
|Graduated Senior/Medical Student||Level 4|
Once you have noted the above information, you may proceed to the application instructions.
The application deadline for the 2017 Summer Undergraduate Research Internship is January 16, 2017. The application is available now.
Here are some of the basic application instructions:
- We recommend you use Google Chrome to use the application.
- Applicants must make new account at the application portal. Please check your registered email address to confirm your account before applying.
- This portal houses multiple applications. Once your account has been confirmed, please select "Research Summer Intern" (formerly "Methodist Academy Student") for the "Learner Type" on the first page of the application.
- Under desired location, please indicate "Houston Methodist Medical Center", as this is the only site for our internship.
- Please be prepared to provide: your college transcript and two letters of recommendation at the third page of the application. Unofficial transcripts are permissible.
- Only complete applications will be considered for admission into the internship.
OTHER INTERNSHIP OPPORTUNITIES
Spring 2017 Undergraduate Research Opportunity
Undergraduate student in STEM? Interested in an opportunity to be exposed to cutting-edge translational research? Check out the opportunities in the Houston Methodist Research Institute’s lab of Dr. Philip Horner in the Center for Neurodegeneration. Please note that this is an unpaid position. For further information, please contact Sid Gunamalai.
American Urological Association Summer Medical Student Fellowships
The Urology Care Foundation offers a portfolio of mentored research training awards intended to recruit outstanding young investigators into urologic research and foster their career success. The Summer Medical Student Fellowship is designed to attract high-caliber medical students to urologic research by engaging them in summer research fellowships alongside world-class urologic scientists. Awardees receive a $4,000 stipend to support them during a ten-week mentored research experience.
A prior awardee stated that "The fellowship gave me a great overview and start on clinical research. It also gave me a great project to talk about on my urology interviews." Please see the program application for details. The deadline is approaching fast; applications are due no later than 5 p.m. EST on January 12, 2016. If you have any questions or concerns, you may contact the American Urological Association directly.
Debakey Institute for Cardiovascular Education & Training (DICET)
The deadline for the Houston Methodist DeBakey Institute for Cardiovascular Education & Training summer internships has passed. Please check back next year for further updates. The summer 2017 application will open sometime early this year.
High School Volunteer Program
The application deadline for the 2016 Caring Teens volunteer experience has passed. Please check back next year for further updates. The 2017 application will open sometime early this year.
For Additional Information
Nelson Hawkins, MS
Trainee Affairs Coordinator