Eligibility & Application
- Houston Methodist participates in the National Resident Matching Program (NRMP). Note: in ERAS and NRMP, we are listed under the name The Methodist Hospital (Houston).
- Applications must be processed through the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS). Paper applications are not accepted.
- Information on ERAS can be found on the Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC) website.
- All applications are carefully reviewed. Selected applicants are notified electronically to interview through ERAS.
- All PGY1 positions are offered through the NRMP.
- "Pre-Match" positions are not offered.
- Please limit inquiries regarding application status.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Common ERAS application form
- MSPE (Dean's letter)
- At least three (3) letters of recommendation (one letter can be the Chairman Letter or Standard Letter of Evaluation). All letters of recommendation should be current or within the last two years.
- Official medical school transcript
- Personal statement
- Applicants must have passed all USMLE or COMLEX on first attempt.
- Applicants must have graduated from medical school within the last three (3) years
- Application deadline is December 15, 2021
Additional Requirements for International Medical Graduates (IMG):
- Must be ECFMG-certified
- Must submit USMLE Step 2 (CK/CS) results by application deadline (December 15, 2021)
- Must submit an official English translation for all application materials
- U.S. Clinical Experience (USCE) is required, preferably in an academic medical center (observerships are considered as USCE – Houston Methodist Department of Medicine does not offer an observership program)
- Must document USCE/observerships with a letter of recommendation by a supervising physician
- Only J-1 Visas are offered
Given the COVID-19 pandemic, all interviews will be conducted virtually for the 2021-2022 interview season. Applications will be reviewed upon their release on September 29, 2021. Interview invitations will not be extended until all aspects of the applications are reviewed.
Interviews will be offered on select days from October 2, 2021 thru January 15, 2022.
We are currently working on the final interview day structure, but the anticipated interview day format will include:
- Welcome from the Program Director and Program Leadership
- Interview with three faculty members
- Virtual hospital tour
We are in the process of creating informational videos which will be available prior to our interview season. Please come back and visit the site for additional updates.