Benefits of Aquatic Therapy
The use of water has many unique properties that make it the ideal environment for rehabilitation.
- Buoyancy allows for easier body movements and makes it is easier to stand for longer periods of time and move stiff joints.
- The natural resistance increases muscle strength and allows for smooth, non-jerky movements.
- The pressure of water on the body increases the dynamics of blood pressure, which can help strengthen the heart and challenge the lungs. This can significantly benefit patients with conditions like venous stasis (a complication from poor circulation in the legs).
- Warm water helps relax tense and constricted muscles, soothes aching joints, and allows a wider range of motion in affected areas.
Conditions Treated by Aquatic Therapy
Aquatic therapy may be recommended for your recovery from a wide range of conditions:
- Chronic pain syndromes
- Hip bursitis and replacements
- Injuries and disorders affecting muscles, bones and joints
- Joint replacements
- Knee scopes and replacements
- Post-surgical pain
- Rehabilitation following stroke or brain injury
Our therapists work closely with your surgeon to develop a rehabilitation plan specific to your needs and get you back to normal activity.
Houston Methodist Physical & Occupational Therapy at Sugar Land
16811 Southwest Frwy., Suite 100
Sugar Land, Texas 77479
Houston Methodist Orthopedics & Sports Medicine – Nassau Bay
18100 St. John Drive, Suite 100
Nassau Bay, Texas 77058