Primary Care Sports Medicine
Expert Care to Keep You Moving
Your ability to stay in motion matters. Sports injuries can impact anyone at any level of activity. Seeing a doctor who understands your needs and overall health can help you avoid injury or recover faster, whether you are a weekend gardener or a professional athlete.
Houston Methodist Orthopedics & Sports Medicine has the largest group of Primary Care Sports Medicine physicians in Texas. Active people of all ages receive the same routine medical care found at a family doctor, enhanced with the same sports medicine expertise used to treat professional athletes and performing artists.
What is a Sports Medicine Primary Care Doctor?
A sports medicine primary care doctor is a regular family doctor with specialized training in both the treatment and prevention of illness and injury. Your sports medicine primary care doctor can help you maximize your function and avoid time away from school, work, sports and other activities.
Even treating the common cold can be a little different in the presence of athletic injury. Your doctor understands that athletes and active individuals often have unique needs. He or she can guide referrals to occupational therapy, recommend lifestyle changes, and help plan for specific performance and conditioning goals — all the while handling your most basic health care needs.
Primary Care Sports Medicine Services
Sports medicine primary care doctors treat:
- Concussions or mild head injury
- Acute injuries (such as ankle sprains, muscle strains, knee and shoulder injuries, and fractures)
- Overuse injuries (such as rotator cuff and other forms of tendonitis, stress fractures)
- Common illnesses such as cold, flu and minor digestive issues
- Chronic or acute illness (such as infectious mononucleosis, asthma or diabetes)
Additional services include:
- Yearly physicals
- Medical and injection therapies for osteoarthritis
- Nutrition and supplements guidance
- Exercise guidance
- Injury prevention
- “Return to play” decisions in the sick or injured athlete
- Healthy lifestyle promotion
Serving Area Sports Teams
Our sports medicine specialists frequently work with community partners, high school athletic programs and organized sports clubs in the Greater Houston area to provide preventive care and the necessary education to help reduce risk of injury. Specialists are responsible for:
- Pre-participation physical examination
- Injury assessment and management
- Care of sports related and general medical needs of athletes
- Sports psychology issues
- Substance use issues
- Education and counseling on illness and injury prevention
- Coordinating care with athletic trainers, physical therapists, personal physicians and others
- Communication with coaches, school administration and families
Looking for sports medicine specialized primary care? We can help. Call us at 713.790.3333 to discuss your options.
Find a Specialist Near You
We offer Primary Care Sports Medicine expertise at convenient locations throughout the Greater Houston area.
6445 Main St., Suite 2500
Houston, TX 77030
5505 W. Loop S. Fwy.
Houston, TX 77081
1677 W. Baker Rd., Suite 1701
Baytown, TX 77521
2220 E. League City Pkwy., Suite 200
League City, TX 77573
2020 Nasa Pkwy., Suite 230
Nassau Bay, TX 77058
16811 Southwest Fwy., Suite 200
Sugar Land, TX 77479
7790 W. Grand Pkwy S.,
Richmond, TX 77406
8330 Hwy. 6,
Missouri City, TX 77459
Medical Office Building 1
18400 Katy Fwy., Suite 200
Houston, TX 77094
7105 FM 2920
Spring, TX 77379
13802 Centerfield Dr., Suite 300
Houston, TX 77070
17183 Interstate 45 S.
Medical Office Building 1, Suite 210
The Woodlands, TX 77385