Houston Methodist Advancement into Professional Practice Program (MAPP)
An employment and learning opportunity for baccalaureate nursing students.
Houston Methodist is pleased to offer baccalaureate nursing students the opportunity to enhance their learning and understanding of their chosen profession through an internship in our Houston Methodist Advancement into Professional Practice Program (MAPP). Whether you choose the year-round program offered for Houston area students or the summer program specifically for students outside the Houston and Galveston region, you will experience hands-on training while working side by side with leading registered nurses (RNs) in direct patient care.
MAPP is a paid position, with students assigned to work in a nursing department within Houston Methodist.
The assimilation into the health care setting will prove to be a valuable experience as students begin their nursing career. Individuals who successfully complete the MAPP program will be better prepared to meet the demands and challenges facing tomorrow's nurses.
MAPP students are required to work 24 hours a month for the year-round program and up to 40 hours a week for the summer externship. Student nurses can expect to receive a number of benefits for participating in the program:
- A competitive salary with shift differentials
- Paid orientation
- Housing assistance (for summer program only)
- Unlimited voluntary participation in Houston Methodist educational opportunities (unpaid)
- Discount tickets to local and regional special events
Upon completion of the MAPP program, student nurses in their last semester of nursing school who have maintained a GPA of 3.2 or higher will have the opportunity to be among the first candidates to interview for a full-time, paid position as a Houston Methodist graduate nurse resident.
As a part of our nursing team, MAPP students also have access to the rich educational opportunities at Houston Methodist:
Applications for the MAPP year-round internship are accepted in the fall with an October deadline. Applications for the MAPP summer internship are accepted each spring with a January deadline. Space is limited to the top qualified candidates and is directed toward outstanding individuals who have a passion for administering quality health care. Specific requirements must be met for consideration into the program:
- Currently enrolled in a nursing baccalaureate program
- Have and maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.2 minimum
- Completed one semester in the nursing program, including the fundamentals course work (two semesters for summer externship)
- Able to work up to 40 hours a week for summer program
- Work a minimum of 24 hours a month for year-round program
- Hold a current Basic Life Support for Healthcare Providers certification through the American Heart Association
Applications must include:
- Preference summary sheet
- Interest essay
- Faculty recommendations from two of the candidates nursing faculty (1 must be from a clinical instructor).
The completed application must be submitted prior to the deadline as publicized online to:
Center for Nursing Research, Education and Practice
6565 Fannin St, MGJ 11-002
Houston, TX 77030
Houston Methodist Hospital looks forward to helping you map out your career path. No matter in which direction your journey leads you, we are committed to partnering with you every step of the way.