PRIMARY CARE SPORTS MEDICINE
The increasing complexity of medicine and the emphasis on “exercise is medicine” has created demand for physicians with advanced knowledge and skills in addressing the needs of athletes and the active population.
Houston Methodist Willowbrook Hospital has recognized this need and recruited an elite group of physicians who specialize in the care of this population, and their growing need for primary and specialized sports medicine care.
Houston Methodist Orthopedics & Sports Medicine has the largest group of Primary Care Sports Medicine physicians in Texas. We have created a place where active people of all ages can come and receive the vast majority of their health care needs.
Primary Care Sports Medicine Specialists
A Primary Care Sports Medicine (PCSM) specialist may be board-certified in a primary care specialty such as Family Medicine, Pediatrics or Internal Medicine. Our PCSM physicians are board-certified in Family Medicine as well as Sports Medicine, serving as the primary care physician for many of their patients.
- Routine and sports physicals
- Emergency management of the ill or injured athlete
- Treatment of musculoskeletal injuries and conditions, such as stress fractures, ligament strains, running injuries, overuse conditions, etc.
- Advanced injection treatment of arthritis, tendonitis, muscle injuries and conditions
- Concussion assessment using computerize neuropsychological testing, as well as management and clearance for return to play
- Treatment of acute and chronic illnesses
- Management of diseases such as diabetes, hypertension, heart disease, asthma and depression
- Sports Performance with on-staff exercise physiologist that offers pulmonary function, exercise prescription, VO2 mac, lactate threshold and endurance testing
- Orthopedic surgery consultation for athletes needing surgical treatment
From routine family medical care to concussion management and state-of-the-art treatment of overuse sports injuries and other musculoskeletal conditions, our PCSM physicians work together to serve as your family’s “team doctor.”