Eligibility And Application
Micrographic Surgery and Dermatologic Oncology fellows are selected through the Mohs Micrographic Surgery Fellowship Match, a centralized matching process administered by the San Francisco (SF) Match . Registration for candidates begins in May, interviews are conducted in the Fall and the match occurs in December for training beginning the following year. This training program runs for one year, July 1-June 30. Complete the SF Match application form . Be certain to list Methodist Hospital (Houston) ID# 3759 as one of the programs to which you would like your verified application sent. It is important to respond as quickly as possible as it takes 60 days to process your application. The sooner you submit your application, the sooner it will be sent to the training programs to schedule your interviews. Applications received after SEPTEMBER 1, will be subject to late fees for processing through the centralized system.
All applicants must meet specific requirements:
- Must have a dean’s letter and at least two other letters of recommendation; preferably, one of the letters should be from the Chairman of the Department of Medicine; all letters of recommendation should be current or within the last two years
- Must have graduated from medical school and have an official medical school transcript
- Must submit a personal statement
- Must have passed USMLE on first attempt; no minimum score requirement
- Must be eligible for board examination (Dermatology)
Additional requirements exist for International Medical Graduates (IMGs):
- Must be ECFMG-certified (except Fifth Pathway graduates)
- Must submit USMLE Step 2 (CK/CS) results by application
- Must submit an official English translation for all application materials
- U.S. Clinical Experience (USCE) is preferred, but not required
- Must document USCE/observerships with a letter of recommendation by a supervising physician
- Only J-1 Visas are supported
Requirements for Fellowship Program
In order to participate in an ACGME accredited fellowship program at Houston Methodist Hospital, fellows must have either a Texas Medical Board (TMB) Physician-in-Training permit or a full and unrestricted license to practice medicine in Texas. To obtain a Physician-in-Training permit, certain TMB requirements must be met:
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Be of good professional character
- Be a graduate of:
- A U.S. or Canadian medical school accredited by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education
- A college of osteopathic medicine in the U.S. accredited by the American Osteopathic Association (AOA)
- A medical school outside the U.S. and Canada and have: a current valid certificate from the Educational Commission on Foreign Medical Graduates prior to appointment or completed a Fifth Pathway program through an LCME-accredited medical school
The TMB also requires that each resident applicant for a Physician-in-Training permit must not fall under any of these categories:
- A medical license, permit or other authority to practice medicine that is currently restricted for cause, canceled for cause, suspended for cause, revoked, or subject to other discipline in a state or territory of the U.S., Canada or a uniformed service of the U.S.
- An investigation or proceeding pending for the restriction, cancelation, suspension, revocation or other discipline of the medical license, permit or authority to practice medicine in a state or territory of the U.S., a province of Canada or a uniformed service of the U.S.
- Prosecution pending in any state, federal, or Canadian court for any offense that under the laws of this state is a felony, a misdemeanor that involves the practice of medicine, or a misdemeanor that involves a crime of moral turpitude
It is the policy of Houston Methodist to sustain selection processes that are free from discrimination. Accordingly, no applicant shall be subject to discrimination in the process of resident selection on the basis of gender, race, age, religion, color, national origin, disability, pregnancy, sexual orientation or veteran status.
Appointment to Fellowship Program
Conditions of Appointment
The appointment to the position of fellow will be contingent upon:
- Issuance of an active physician-in-training permit or medical license from the TMB prior to assuming duties at Houston Methodist
- Successful completion of all requirements specified by the particular program offering the resident appointment
- Every non-citizen applicant selected for appointment must have permanent resident status.
Residents may be required to sign a certificate that they possess the Essential Abilities required for training. The use of a third party to fulfill these attributes will not be considered adequate. However, individual residency programs may require different specific abilities for training. All necessary accommodations requested by a resident must be detailed and agreed to by the resident before training begins. Procedure GME09—Accommodation of Residents with Disabilities outlines the process by which a Resident may request accommodation for disability.
Agreement of Appointment
Residents will be appointed to the program. This agreement will contain provision for/or a reference to Houston Methodist’s policies regarding: resident’s responsibilities; duration of appointment; financial support; conditions for reappointment and promotion to a subsequent postgraduate year of training; grievance and due process procedures; professional liability insurance; hospital and health insurance benefits that start the first recognized day of the resident’s program; disability insurance; vacation, parental, sick, and other leaves of absence; effect of leave on resident’s ability to satisfy requirements to complete the program; access to information related to eligibility for specialty board examinations; and duty hours and moonlighting policies and procedures.
For Additional Information
Leonard H. Goldberg, MD, FRCP
Program Director, Micrographic Surgery and Dermatologic Oncology Fellowship
Medical Director, DermSurgery Associates, PA
Heidi Vehko Hakansson, BS, MPA
Director, Operations/HR for DermSurgery Associates, PA
Coordination for the Fellowship