Before your seventh month of pregnancy, we recommend you preregister with us at Houston Methodist. This ensures that we will have all your information in our system and you will not need to go through the admitting process when you arrive at the hospital in labor.
You can preregister in person or online below. You will need your insurance information, social security number and expected date of delivery. You will also need to sign admission forms in person before delivery. This is important because Houston Methodist cannot treat you or give you anesthesia until you sign consent forms.
Your Arrival and Admission
It is time! Contact your doctor and they will let you know when you should come to the birthing center.* If you have preregistered, you will be admitted right away without having to wait.
Once you are settled in one of our comfortable birthing suites, your vital signs and the baby’s heartbeat will be monitored. All necessary admission information will be collected at this time. To help make the experience as special as possible, we recommend at least one support person be present during labor and delivery.
*If you are experiencing a medical emergency, please call 911.
Your Remember-to-Bring Checklist
Try to pack your suitcase about one month before your due date.
Remember to bring these things for Mom:
- Robe, slippers and comfortable clothes to rest and sleep in after birth
- Toiletry items, makeup and other personal care items
- Things to use during birth, such as massage items and a portable MP3 or CD player
- Watch or travel clock
Remember to bring these things for Dad:
- Electronics and chargers
- Change of clothes
- Camera (Photos can be taken during the birthing period, but videos can only be taken postpartum and in the nursery.)
- List of family and/or friends to call or text when baby arrives
Remember to bring these things for Baby:
- Car seat
- Blanket, hat and sweater/jacket according to weather
- Diapers and climate-appropriate clothing
Childbirth Preregistration Form
Thank you for registering online for your child's birth at Houston Methodist. We will contact you within 24 hours after completion.
To protect your privacy, all of our online forms are encrypted and stored in a secure location. Please note that while our forms are secure, any communication via email may not be secure, so please consider this when selecting a way for us to contact you. If you select telephone or email as your preferred method of contact, every effort will be made to return your request by the next business day. A response to your request via postal mail may take up to 10 business days to receive.
Classes and Tours
- Breastfeeding and lactation support
- Infant care
- Orientation tour
- Prepared childbirth and parenting series
- Sibling orientation
Birth Certificates and Social Security Cards
Upon preadmission to the birthing center, you will receive application forms for a birth certificate and Social Security number. Prior to discharge, the birth registrar will review these forms and submit them for you. You will then receive a Birth Facts sheet, which can be used to add your baby to your insurance. Your newborn’s Social Security card will be sent directly to your home. A birth certificate may be obtained from the Texas Vital Statistics office upon your request.
Frequently Asked Questions
- How do I get a copy of my baby's birth certificate? You can purchase a certified copy of your child's birth certificate from the local registrar's office located in the city or county where the birth occurred, or you can order it from the Texas Vital Statistics office in Austin, Texas. Either way, there is a three to four week waiting period after ordering.
- When will I receive my baby's Social Security card? If you answered "Yes" to the question "Apply for Baby's Social Security Number?" on the Mother's Worksheet for Child's Birth Certificate , the birth information will be forwarded to the Social Security Administration as soon as the Texas Vital Statistics office receives the data from the hospital. The Social Security Administration then requires two to three weeks to process the information. A Social Security card will be mailed to the mother's mailing address as provided on the Mother's Worksheet. The entire process usually takes four to six weeks to complete.
- When will I receive my baby's Medicaid number? If you provided answers to the questions "Mother's Medicaid Name?" and "Mother's Medicaid Number?" on the Mother's Worksheet for Child's Birth Certificate , the information will be forwarded to Medicaid as soon as the Texas Vital Statistics office receives the data from the hospital. Medicaid then requires two to three weeks to process the information. The Infant Medicaid card will be mailed to the mother's mailing address as provided on the Mother's Worksheet. The entire process usually takes four to six weeks to complete.
Planning for Discharge
Having a baby is a family event, and we find that most moms and babies are eager to go home as soon as possible. We recommend moms stay with us at least 24 hours after a vaginal birth and 72 hours after a cesarean birth to make sure both of you are ready.
- We want to make sure your baby is prepared for the outside world (stable vital signs, temperature and ability to eat/nurse adequately).
- The state requires certain tests be performed when the baby is 24 hours old.
The State of Texas requires that all infants be transported in a car seat when going home. Plan for transportation in advance with your family. Please bring an age-appropriate car seat to the hospital on the day the baby goes home.
Our physicians at Houston Methodist specialize in labor and delivery at the following convenient locations: