Make an Appointment
To make an appointment call 713-790-2700 complete our online registration form.
In 2012, more than 47,000 women in the United States will be diagnosed with uterine cancer, most of whom will be over 55 years old.1
Methodist Cancer Center is dedicated to providing the resources you need for the diagnosis and treatment of uterine cancer.
What Is Uterine Cancer?
Cancer is the result of a mutation that causes otherwise normal cells to grow at an abnormal rate. A buildup of extra cells in the uterus can result in the formation of tumors, which may be either malignant (cancerous) or benign (noncancerous). Benign tumors can be treated or surgically removed and usually don’t grow back.
More than 95% of cancers of the uterus are carcinomas, the general term for cancers that start in the cells that line or cover most organs (epithelial cells). The remaining 5% are sarcomas, cancers that start from tissues such as muscle, fat, bone and fibrous tissue.
Carcinomas starting in the cervix are called cervical carcinomas (see Cervical Cancer), while those originating in the endometrium, the lining of the uterus, are called endometrial carcinomas.
What Are the Risk Factors?
While the exact cause of uterine cancer is unknown, researchers have linked it to several risk factors. You may be at risk if you:
- Are overweight
- Have never had children
- Had your first menstrual period before age 12
- Went through menopause after age 55
- Have a family history of uterine or other cancers
- Have taken estrogen without progesterone for menopausal hormone therapy
- Have taken he drug tamoxifen to prevent or treat breast cancer
- Have had radiation therapy to the pelvis
Learn more about uterine cancer:
- Diagnosing Uterine Cancer
- Treating Uterine Cancer
- Center for Restorative Pelvic Medicine
- Uterine Cancer Resources
- Uterine Cancer Clinical Trials
- Our Uterine Cancer Specialists and Staff
For more information about uterine cancer treatment at the Methodist Cancer Center or to make an appointment, call us at 713-790-2700.
1 American Cancer Society