The Methodist Hospital Research Institute Funds 2010 Scholar Awards
HOUSTON (Dec. 21, 2010) -TMHRI congratulates Drs. Christof Karmonik, Muthiah Kumaraswami, Kevin Phillips, Federico Monzon, Ping Wang and James Xia for receiving TMHRI Scholar Awards. The annual TMHRI Scholar Awards program recognizes outstanding and promising young investigators with innovative research ideas. The awards provide seed funds for expanding these ideas and obtaining preliminary data that can then be used to apply for extramural funding.
Congratulations to the 2010 recipients of TMHRI Scholar Awards:
- Dr. Christof Karmonik, Imaging & Molecular Imaging, for using fMRI and PET imaging of the activation of the Default Mode Network (DMN), an area of the brain associated with goal-directed activity, to uncover patterns with diagnostic value for epilepsy.
- Dr. Muthiah Kumaraswami, Infectious Disease & Inflammation, for characterization of intracellular signaling peptides that regulate virulence gene expression for group A Streptococcus.
- Dr. Kevin Phillips, Diabetes and Metabolic Disease, to develop chemical synthesis of the radiotracer 18F-FTHA for use in PET-CT imaging of fatty acid metabolism.
- Dr. Federico Monzon, Genomic Medicine, for development of multiplex cancer biomarkers detections assays using magnetic immuno-particles.
- Dr. Ping Wang, Cancer Research, for prediction of nephrotoxicity in renal transplant recipients using personalized miRNA profiles.
- Dr. James Xia, Outcomes Research, to develop eFace, an imaging informatics system that predicts soft-tissue-deformation and reduces the risk of facial disfigurement after craniomaxillofacial surgery.
For more information on The Methodist Hospital Research Institute, see www.tmhri.com. Follow Methodist on Twitter and Facebook.