Hidehiro Takei, MD
Medical Director, Autopsy Service
Associate Medical Director, Neuropathology
Department of Pathology and Genomic Medicine
The Methodist Hospital Physician Organization
Assistant Professor of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine
Weill Cornell Medical College or Cornell University
6565 Fannin Street, Suite M227
Houston, Texas 77030
Dr. Takei received his M.D. degree from the National Defense Medical College in Saitama, Japan in 1990. He then completed his residency training and a cytopathology fellowship at the Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center in New Orleans, Louisiana. He later completed a neuropathology fellowship at the Baylor College of Medicine in Houston, Texas and joined the Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine at Houston Methodist Hospital as an attending pathologist. Dr. Takei received his faculty appointment at the Weill Cornell Medical College in 2007. In 2011, Dr. Takei completed a molecular genetic pathology fellowship at Houston Methodist.
Dr. Takei is a general surgical pathologist with subspecialty certification in cytopathology, neuropathology, and molecular genetic pathology. His research focuses on the identification of novel immunohistochemical markers of neurologic malignancies.
Representative Recent Publications
- Takei H, Powell S, Rivera A. Concurrent occurrence of primary intracranial Epstein-Barr virus-associated leiomyosarcoma and Hodgkin lymphoma in a young adult. J Neurosurg. 2013 Apr 26. [Epub ahead of print]
- Choi E, Lewis AL, Takei H, Ro JY. Leptomeningeal carcinomatosis as initial presentation in adenocarcinoma of lung with signet ring cell features: an autopsy case report. Int J Clin Exp Pathol. 2012;5(9):972-6.
- Takei H, Monzon FA. Gene expression assays and personalized cancer care: tissue of origin test for cancer of unknown primary origin. Per Med. 2011;8:429-36.
- Kosarac O, Zhai QJ, Shen S, Takei H, Ro JY, Ayala AG. Minimal or no residual prostatic adenocarcinoma on radical prostatectomy: a 5-year experience with "vanishing carcinoma phenomenon". Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2011 Nov;135(11):1466-70.
- Mukherjee A, Peterson JE, Sandberg G, Takei H, Adesina A, Goodman JC, Powell S. Central nervous system pathology in fatal swine-origin influenza A H1N1 virus infection in patients with and without neurological symptoms: an autopsy study of 15 cases. Acta Neuropathol. 2011 Sep;122(3):371-3.
- Raghunathan A, Barber SM, Takei H, Moisi MD, Mukherjee AL, Rivera AL, Powell SZ, Trask TW. Primary intracranial sarcomatoid carcinoma arising from a recurrent/residual epidermoid cyst of the cerebellopontine angle: a case report. Am J Surg Pathol. 2011 Aug;35(8):1238-43.
- Schaaf CP, Blazo M, Lewis RA, Tonini RE, Takei H, Wang J, Wong LJ, Scaglia F. Early-onset severe neuromuscular phenotype associated with compound heterozygosity for OPA1 mutations. Mol Genet Metab. 2011 Aug;103(4):383-7.
- Kosarac O, Takei H, Zhai QJ, Schwartz MR, Mody DR. S100P and XIAP expression in pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma: potential novel biomarkers as a diagnostic adjunct to fine needle aspiration cytology. Acta Cytol. 2011;55(2):142-8.
- Rivera AL, Takei H, Zhai J, Shen SS, Ro JY, Powell SZ. Useful immunohistochemical markers in differentiating hemangioblastoma versus metastatic renal cell carcinoma. Neuropathology. 2010 Dec;30(6):580-5.
- Takei H, Powell SZ. Novel immunohistochemical markers in the diagnosis of nonglial tumors of nervous system. Adv Anat Pathol. 2010 Mar;17(2):150-3. Review.
- DiLorenzo DJ, Jankovic J, Simpson RK, Takei H, Powell SZ. Long-term deep brain stimulation for essential tremor: 12-year clinicopathologic follow-up. Mov Disord. 2010 Jan 30;25(2):232-8.
- Takei H, Wilfong A, Malphrus A, Yoshor D, Hunter JV, Armstrong DL, Bhattacharjee MB. Dual pathology in Rasmussen's encephalitis: a study of seven cases and review of the literature. Neuropathology. 2010 Aug;30(4):381-91.
- Raparia K, Powell SZ, Cernoch P, Takei H. Cerebral mycosis: 7-year retrospective series in a tertiary center. Neuropathology. 2010 Jun;30(3):218-23.
- Takei H, Adesina AM, Mehta V, Powell SZ, Langford LA. Atypical teratoid/rhabdoid tumor of the pineal region in an adult. J Neurosurg. 2010 Aug;113(2):374-9.
- Kosarac O, Carrum G, Mody D, Takei H. Cytologic findings in allogeneic and autologous bone marrow transplant patients with pulmonary symptoms: a 9-year follow-up study. Acta Cytol. 2009 Sep-Oct;53(5):565-70.
- Takei H, Powell SZ. Rosenthal fiber-rich glioblastoma: a case report. Clin Neuropathol. 2009 May-Jun;28(3):168-72.
- Takei H, Kosarac O, Powell SZ. Cytomorphologic features of myxopapillary ependymoma: a review of 13 cases. Acta Cytol. 2009 May-Jun;53(3):297-302.
- Cho HY, Lee M, Takei H, Dancer J, Ro JY, Zhai QJ. Immunohistochemical comparison of chordoma with chondrosarcoma, myxopapillary ependymoma, and chordoid meningioma. Appl Immunohistochem Mol Morphol. 2009 Mar;17(2):131-8.