Stereotactic radiosurgery (SRS) is a non-invasive, non-surgical treatment option that can be applied to tumors and lesions in difficult to reach or inoperable regions of the body (areas where the risk of traditional surgery is too great). This technique is most commonly used in areas such as the brain or spinal cord.
Prior to treatment, the patient undergoes MRI and CT scans. Images are uploaded into a 3-D software program to simulate anatomical structures and the exact irregular shape of the tumor. The radiation oncologists in collaboration with Houston Methodist Hospital’s neurosurgeons, radiation physicists and dosimetrists can then implement a treatment plan specifically individualized to each patient.
The Treatment Process
Treatment consists of a one-time application of multiple, highly focused beams of radiation. The beams converge on a small area of abnormal tissue, while sparing the healthy tissue nearby.
Novalis® radiosurgery delivers non-invasive, shaped-beam radiosurgery to treat cancerous and non-cancerous conditions of the entire body with one-of-a-kind shaped-beam technology. Shaping the beam precisely to your tumor gives the best possible treatment dose delivered to your tumor while healthy tissue is protected.
As one of the most advanced cancer treatment options available, Novalis radiosurgery offers the following benefits:
- No tumor or lesion is perfectly shaped. Novalis shapes the cancer-fighting radiation beam around your tumor or lesion, ensuring that the maximum
prescribed dose of high-energy radiation is delivered to the abnormal tissue only
- Protects surrounding healthy tissue
- Adapts treatment to your breathing and other body movements so that radiation delivery is always safe, complete and accurate
- Delivers treatment in as little as 15-20 minutes for a more comfortable treatment experience when compared with other radiosurgery treatment options
- Reduces the likelihood of body or tumor movements, ensuring that treatment is delivered with the highest possible accuracy
- Offers one-time treatment or a series of treatments based on your doctor’s recommendation
- Flexible treatment options ensure that you receive the best treatment for your condition
- Delivers one of the highest dose rates to treat tumors deep inside the body or brain
- Offers hope to those with conditions once considered untreatable and for whom surgery is not an option
- Frameless radiosurgery offers you a more comfortable and non-invasive alternative to other radiosurgery systems which require immobilization with a head ring that attaches to the skull