Mary R. Schwartz, MD
Medical Director, Anatomic Pathology
Director, Surgical Pathology Fellowship
Department of Pathology and Genomic Medicine
The Methodist Hospital Physician Organization
6565 Fannin Street, Suite M227
Houston, Texas 77030
Dr. Schwartz received her M.D. degree from the Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis, Missouri in 1978. She then completed a pathology residency at Baylor College of Medicine in Houston, Texas before joining the faculty there. She became a full professor at Baylor in 1998, and the Robert M. O’Neal Professor of Pathology in 2001. Dr. Schwartz is currently a Clinical Professor of Pathology at Baylor. She served as director of the Baylor pathology residency program from 1990 until 2001. She is actively involved in the mentoring of residents and fellows, as well as teaching medical students. Dr. Schwartz serves on several editorial boards and is associate editor of Archives of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine. She is a member of the College of American Pathologists Cytopathology Resource Committee, and a chair of the American Society of Cytopathology Membership Committee.
Dr. Schwartz has been named as one of the Best Doctors in America since 1996. In 2009, Dr. Schwartz received the Harlan J. Spjut Award from the Houston Society of Clinical Pathologists for distinguished and sustained scholarly achievements in pathology. In 2009, she also received the College of American Pathologists (CAP) Spotlight Service Award, to recognize pathologists who routinely go above and beyond in serving their community and patients through the practice of pathology. In 2010, Dr. Schwartz received the CAP Lifetime Achievement Award.
While practicing in all areas of surgical and cytopathology, Dr. Schwartz's specific areas of interest include gastrointestinal pathology, breast pathology and head and neck pathology. Her research interests include discovery and validation of tumor markers in breast and pancreatic cancer.
Representative Recent Publications
Quiroga-Garza G, Zhou H, Mody DR, Schwartz MR, Ge Y. Unexpected High Prevalence of HPV 90 Infection in an Underserved Population: Is It Really a Low-Risk Genotype? Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2013 Feb 20. [Epub ahead of print]
Darragh TM, Colgan TJ, Cox JT, Heller DS, Henry MR, Luff RD, McCalmont T, Nayar R, Palefsky JM, Stoler MH, Wilkinson EJ, Zaino RJ, Wilbur DC; Members of LAST Project Work Groups, including Schwartz MR. The Lower Squamous Terminology Standardization Project for HPV-Associated Lesions: Background and Consensus Recommendations from the College of American Pathologists and the American Society for Colposcopy and Cervical Pathology. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2012 Oct;136(10:1266-97
Darragh TM, Colgan TJ, Cox JT, Heller DS, Henry MR, Luff RD, McCalmont T, Nayar R, Palefsky JM, Stoler MH, Wilkinson EJ, Zaino RJ, Wilbur DC; Members of LAST Project Work Groups, including Schwartz MR. The Lower Squamous Terminology Standardization Project for HPV-Associated Lesions: Background and Consensus Recommendations from the College of American Pathologists and the American Society for Colposcopy and Cervical Pathology. J Low Genit Tract Dis. 2012 Jul;16(3):205-42.
Zhou H, Schwartz MR, Coffey D, Smith D, Mody DR, Ge Y. Should LSIL-H be a distinct cytology category?: A study on the frequency and distribution of 40 human papillomavirus genotypes in 808 women. Cancer Cytopathol. 2012 May 30. [Epub ahead of print]
- Gorman BK, Kosarac O, Chakraborty S, Schwartz MR, Mody DR. Comparison of breast carcinoma prognostic/predictive biomarkers on cell blocks obtained by various methods: cellient, formalin and thrombin. Acta Cytol. 2012;56(3):289-96. Epub 2012 Apr 26.
- Quiroga-Garza G, Pina-Oviedo S, Cuevas-Ocampo K, Goldfarb R, Schwartz MR, Ayala AG, Monzon FA. Synchronous clear cell renal cell carcinoma and tubulocystic carcinoma: genetic evidence of independent ontogenesis and implications of chromosomal imbalances in tumor progression. Diagn Pathol. 2012 Feb 27;7(1):21. [Epub ahead of print]
Schwartz MR. A tribute to Jack L. Titus, MD, PhD, 1926-2011. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2011 Dec;135(12):1525-26.
- Kosarac O, Takei H, Zhai QJ, Schwartz MR, Mody DR. S100P and XIAP expression in pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma: potential novel biomarkers as a diagnostic adjunct to fine needle aspiration cytology. Acta Cytol. 2011;55(2):142-8.
- Raparia K, Zhai QJ, Schwartz MR, Shen SS, Ayala AG, Ro JY. Muscularis mucosae versus muscularis propria in gallbladder, cystic duct, and common bile duct: smoothelin and desmin immunohistochemical study. Ann Diagn Pathol. 2010 Dec;14(6):408-12.
- Clayton AC, Bentz JS, Wasserman PG, Schwartz MR, Souers RJ, Chmara BA, Laucirica R, Clary KM, Moriarty AT; College of American Pathologists Cytopathology Resource Committee. Comparison of ThinPrep preparations to other preparation types in gastrointestinal cytology: observations from the College of American Pathologists Interlaboratory Comparison Program in Nongynecologic Cytology. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2010 Aug;134(8):1116-20.
- Haupt B, Schwartz MR, Xu Q, Ro JY. Columnar cell lesions: a consensus study among pathology trainees. Hum Pathol. 2010 Jun;41(6):895-901.
- Eversole GM, Moriarty AT, Schwartz MR, Clayton AC, Souers R, Fatheree LA, Chmara BA, Tench WD, Henry MR, Wilbur DC. Practices of participants in the college of american pathologists interlaboratory comparison program in cervicovaginal cytology, 2006. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2010 Mar;134(3):331-5.
- Haupt B, Ro JY, Schwartz MR. Basal-like breast carcinoma: a phenotypically distinct entity. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2010 Jan;134(1):130-3.
- Moriarty AT, Clayton AC, Zaleski S, Henry MR, Schwartz MR, Eversole GM, Tench WD, Fatheree LA, Souers RJ, Wilbur DC. Unsatisfactory reporting rates: 2006 practices of participants in the college of american pathologists interlaboratory comparison program in gynecologic cytology. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2009 Dec;133(12):1912-6.
- Crothers BA, Tench WD, Schwartz MR, Bentz JS, Moriarty AT, Clayton AC, Fatheree LA, Chmara BA, Wilbur DC. Guidelines for the reporting of nongynecologic cytopathology specimens. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2009 Nov;133(11):1743-56.
- Ge Y, Smith D, Schwartz MR, Mody DR. Image-guided ThinPrep Papanicolaou tests and cotesting with high-risk human papillomavirus in women aged 30 years and older in a low-risk private practice population. Cancer Cytopathol. 2009 Oct 25;117(5):326-32.
- Shen SS, Haupt BX, Ro JY, Zhu J, Bailey HR, Schwartz MR. Number of lymph nodes examined and associated clinicopathologic factors in colorectal carcinoma. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2009 May;133(5):781-6.
- Dayton AS, Ro JY, Schwartz MR, Ayala AG, Raymond AK. Raymond's Paragraph System: an alternative format for the organization of gross pathology reports and its implementation in an academic teaching hospital. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2009 Feb;133(2):298-302. Review.
- Sussman NL, Lee PL, Dries AM, Schwartz MR, Barton JC. Multi-organ iron overload in an African-American man with ALAS2 R452S and SLC40A1 R561G. Acta Haematol. 2008;120(3):168-73.
- Moriarty AT, Schwartz MR, Eversole G, Means M, Clayton A, Souers R, Fatheree L, Tench WD, Henry M, Wilbur DC. Human papillomavirus testing and reporting rates: Practices of participants in the College of American Pathologists Interlaboratory Comparison Program in Gynecologic Cytology in 2006. Arch Pathol Lab Medicine. 2008; 132:1290-1294.
- Anderson H, Boyanton BL, Stryjewska B, Schwartz MR. Hansen’s disease in the United States in the 21st Century. A review of the literature. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2007; 131:982-986.
- Haupt B, Schwartz MR, Ro, JY, Shen SS. Colorectal adenocarcinoma with micropapillary pattern and its association with lymph node metastasis. Mod Pathol. 2007; 20:729-733.