Make an Appointment
To schedule an appointment, please call 713.441.6455 or complete an Appointment Request Form.
Studies show that active metabolic management can decrease the chances of further stone formation by 60 to 80 percent for someone prone to stone recurrence.
Risk Factors for Recurrence
- History of large or multiple kidney stones
- Strong family history of stones
- Intestinal disease (particularly inflammatory bowel disease and chronic diarrhea)
- Gastric bypass
- Pathologic skeletal fractures
- History of urinary tract infection with calculi
- Stones composed of cystine, uric acid, or struvite
- Anatomic abnormalities
Prevention of Recurrent Kidney Stones
Due to the high rate of recurrence, patients undergo a comprehensive analysis to assess their risk factors. Nonsurgical options for prevention of recurrent kidney stones may range from lifestyle modifications to nutritional adjustments to medication. Treatment of each patient is individualized based upon not only the chemical composition of the stone, but also a patient’s overall medical condition.
To schedule an appointment, please call 713.441.6455.