Dr. Orlando Diaz is board certified by the American Board of Radiology and holds a certificate of added qualifications in neuroradiology. Formerly an assistant professor in interventional radiology at Baylor College of Medicine and chief of interventional neuroradiology at Ben Taub General Hospital, he joined the medical staff at Houston Methodist Hospital in 2007 and provides advanced neuroradiology and interventional neuroradiology services at the Texas Medical Center, West Houston, Sugar Land and Willowbrook campuses. He is the program director of the Houston Methodist Hospital Interventional Neuroradiologist Fellowship within the Radiology Department. He is also a part of the staff at Houston Radiology Associates.
Dr. Diaz received his medical degree from Cartagena University in Cartagena, Colombia , and completed his training in diagnostic and interventional neuroradiology at Harvard Medical School- massachussetts general Hospital, Department of radiology. He then served as a clinical fellow in interventional neuroradiology at Massachusetts General Hospital. He is the vice president of the Ibero-Latin American Society of Diagnostic and Therapeutic Neuroradiology (SILAN), and a senior member of the World Federation Congress of Interventional and Therapeutic Neuroradiology (WFTIN), the Society of Neurointerventional Surgery (SNIS) and the American Society of Neuroradiology (ASNR).
- Endovascular treatment of aneurysms
- Arteriovenous malformations (AVMs)
- Spinal dural fistulas
- Facial AVMs
- Vein of Galen malformations
- Cerebral and spinal arteriography with 3D rotational imaging
- Intracranial stenosis
- Carotid stenting
- Devascularization of tumors in preparation for surgery
- Stroke therapy
Current research projects include the use of Penumbra coils in the treatment of aneurysms and other vascular diseases, the safety and effectiveness in the treatment of wide neck aneurysms with the Penumbra liberty stent, carotid artery stenting outcomes in the standard risk population for carotid endarterectomy - to evaluate safety and effectiveness of a new stenting system, the use of matrix and GDC coils for the treatment of intracranial saccular aneurysms, and Hydrocoil for endovascular aneurysm occlusion.
- M.D. Cartagena University, Cartagena, Columbia
- Internship, Cartagena University Hospital, Foundation Santa Fe Hospital
- Radiology Residency, Valle University - Valle University Hospital, Cali, Columbia
- Chief Resident in Diagnostic Radiology, Valle University Hospital
- Research Fellowship in Neuroradiology, Harvard Medical School - Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA
- Clinical Fellow of Interventional Neuroradiology, Harvard Medical School - Massachusetts General Hospital
Peer Reviewed Articles
- Mokhtari S, Volpi J, Zhang Y, Diaz-Daza O, Klucznik R.The Role of Gender in the Presence of Collateral Vessels in the Circle of Willis: A Prospective Study Neurology Feb 12, 2013;80 (meeting abstracts 1):2-29
- Kim J, Barber S, Diaz O, Jackson R, Lee A.Post-traumatic amaurosis secondary to paraophthalmic artery pseudoaneurysm treated with Pipeline™ embolization device Case Report. Accepted for Publication Journal of Neuro-Ophthalmology.
- Taylor G, Rangel-Castilla L, Krishna CH, Roman G, Cech D, Diaz O. Endovascular management of six simultaneous intracranial dural arteriovenous fistulas in a single patient. BMJ Case Rep. 2013, Mar 7.
- Karmonik C, Yen C, Gabriel E, Partovi S, Horner M, Zhang YJ, Klucznik RP, Diaz O, Grossman RG.Quantification of speed-up and accuracy of multi-CPU computational flow dynamics simulations of hemodynamics in a posterior communicating artery aneurysm of complex geometry. J. Neurointerventional Surg. 2013, Mar 12 (Epub ahead of print).
- Kim JD, Crockett C, Diaz O, Lee AG, Miller NR. Down but not out. Surv Ophthalmol. 2013 Feb 28.
- Diaz, O., Morillo, A.J. Interventional Neuroradiology Chapter on: Niño, C., Ferrer, L. Neuroanesthesia and Neurological Intensive Care; Editorial Distribuna 2005, 711-744.
- Farinas C, Diaz Daza O., Diaz Marchan P.; Radiology Evaluation of Trauma Chapter book on: Head and Neck Trauma. New York Thieme Medical Publishers 2005, 9-16.
- Díaz O, Bermúdez S, Esguerra R.Diagnostic Imaging in Neuroradiology (Imágenes Diagnósticas en Neurorradiología) Chapter on: Toro J., Yepes M., Palacios M. Neurology Interamerican series of Medicine (Neurología. Serie Interamericana de Medicina) McGraw Hill 2001, 452-493.
- Morales, D., Daza-Daza Orlando, Hlatku R.,Hayman, L.A .BRAIN CONTUSIONS CHAPTER eMedicine: Radiology 2003, online journal at website www.emedicine.com.