Summer Pharmacy Observership Program
The Summer Pharmacy Observership Program at Houston Methodist Hospital is a six week, hands-on experience designed to provide an introduction to hospital-based pharmacy for students enrolled in a Doctor of Pharmacy program who have completed their first or second year.
Objectives of Observership:
The primary objective for this program is to provide students with the opportunity to understand and experience the various aspects of institutional pharmacy. Under the guidance and/or supervision of certified pharmacy technicians and/or registered pharmacists, the observers shall:
- Observe preparation of sterile parenteral admixtures and learn about medication distribution
- Spend time with staff pharmacists in both centralized and decentralized pharmacy settings to understand their roles and duties
- Observe pharmacy residents, clinical pharmacists, and clinical specialists in their various daily activities, which may include rounding, attend meetings, and student presentations/journal clubs
- Attend meetings with pharmacy managers and spend time learning about their daily activities
- Participate in various departmental research projects (quality improvement initiatives and process improvements projects)
- Have opportunities to present information in multiple venues which may include staff meetings, hospital committees and small groups, time permitting
Number of positions available:
Dates of Observership:
June 9 – July 18, 2014
Note: Candidates should be available in the local area one to two weeks prior to start date to complete necessary paperwork and drug/tobacco screening.
Paperwork required once selected:
The Houston Methodist Hospital Education Institute application, Department of Pharmacy application and tobacco screening.
Credit Hours Earned for Pharmacy College or Texas State Board of Pharmacy Hours: None
The application deadline is the last day of February each year.
To apply for the Pharmacy Summer Observership Program:
Submit the following via email to Anila Thomas, PharmD, BCPS at athomas3@HoustonMethodist.org:
1. Letter of Intent – including your reasons to pursue the Observership program and career goals
2. Curriculum Vitae (or resume)
Applicants may be offered a phone interview with the selection committee. The phone interview will last approximately 20 minutes. No onsite interview is required.
For further information, see our FAQ page or please contact:
Anila Thomas, PharmD at athomas3@HoustonMethodist.org: