Y. Jonathan Zhang, M.D.
Assistant Professor of Neurological Surgery
Weill Medical College of Cornell University
6560 Fannin St. Suite 944
Houston, TX 77030
Physician’s Office: 713-441-3800
Houston Methodist Hospital: 713-790-3333
Dr. Zhang specializes in comprehensive treatment of cerebrovascular disorders, including aneurysm, arteriovenous (AV) malformation, dural and spinal AV fistula, carotid cavernous fistula, cavernous malformation, extracranial and intracranial arterial stenosis or occlusion, hyperacute stroke, and intracranial hemorrhage, with endovascular (catheter based) and open microsurgical techniques, as well as stereotactic radiosurgery.
- Minimally invasive microcatheter-based endovascular coiling, balloon remodeling, angioplasty, stent, biological glues (Onyx and nBCA) techniques in treatment of all neurovascular disorders
- Minimally invasive microsurgery for neurovascular diseases and complex brain and skull base tumors
- Extracranial-intracranial (EC-IC) microsurgical bypass for complex occlusive cerebrovascular disease, Moyamoya disease, and giant aneurysms
- Endoscopic intraventricular brain and skullbase surgery for tumors
- Computational hemodynamic modeling and risk assessment of cerebral aneurysms
- Cerebral perfusion reserve assessment in EC-IC bypass
Education and Training:
- B.S., Willamette University
- M.D., Baylor College of Medicine
- Residency in Neurological Surgery, Emory University School of Medicine
- Fellowship in Cerebrovascular and Endovascular Neurosurgery, Emory University School of Medicine
- Zhang YJ, Cawley CM, Barrow DL, Tong FC, Dion JE. Principles of Endovascular Treatment of Intracranial Dural Arteriovenous Fistulas. In: Prestigiacomo CJ, ed. Endovascular Neurosurgery, New York, NY:Thieme (in Press).
- Spiegel M, Redel T, Zhang Y, Struffert T, Hornegger J, Grossman RG, Doerfler A, Karmonik C. Tetrahedral and polyhedral mesh evaluation for cerebral hemodynamic simulation--a comparison. Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc. 2009;2009:2787-90.
- Zhang YJ, Dion JE, Cawley CM, Barrow DL. Carotid Cavernous Fistulas. In: Macdonald RL, ed. Neurosurgical Operative Atlas (Second Edition): Vascular Neurosurgery 200-205. New York, NY: Thieme; 2008.