To be eligible for appointment, the applicant must:
- Have less than five years since medical school graduation
- Be of good professional character with at least three letters of recommendation attesting to their academic and personal qualifications
- Be a graduate of a US or Canadian medical school accredited by the Liaison Committee for Medical Education (LCME), or a college of osteopathic medicine in the US accredited by the AOA, or a medical school outside the US and Canada with a current valid certificate from ECFMG prior to appointment, or have completed a Fifth Pathway program through an LCME-accredited medical school.
- Be licensable in the State of Texas and obtain before beginning training a postgraduate resident permit or a valid Texas medical license from the Texas Medical Board
- Have permanent resident status
Nearly all selected applicants to the program will have scored 92% or higher on Step 1 and Step 2 of the USMLE examinations, although exceptions will be made for individual applicants with otherwise exceptional applications.